Should the M100 have been a coupe?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm

I was "researching" on another site recently and noticed that they have an "Elan of The Month" section. http://www.lotuselancentral.com/eotm.htm

Out of interest I clicked just to see which exciting M100 was going to be displayed: - Red, White, Blue or Yellow they all look the same to me! And was pleased and surprised to see this car with a custom hard top, suddenly the oft derided wedge design looks almost correct.

hardtoprear.jpg and

hardtopfront.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Mr Stevens did do a clay study - I'll see if I can find a pic - I thought it looked nice.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I liked the way the car looked back in the day and to my regret I've never owned one. I do remember a hair raising trip round the Hethel test track in a development car by a Lotus driver called Rudy, that aged me by a few years.

Wedges? I never took to the Esprit, now that was a real wedge.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I've owned 2 M100's. Some hardtops were made a few years back, each requiring some fitting to each specific car. I don't remember who offered them, but they did look pretty good. My last M100 I updated with a Garrett ball bearing turbo, custom intercooler, blueprinted injectors, quaife diff, aluminum flywheel, roll bar, GAZ adjustable shocks, and Wilwood brakes. It was an impessive performer, but I prefer my type 26 because, well just because. :D
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 am

[quote="Spyder fan"top, suddenly the oft derided wedge[/quote]

By whom?

As the owner of both I can tell you that it is rather more admired for it's looks than the 60's elan, which attracts the somewhat older, wants to stop and tell you a story types.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 am

If CABC had been alive, this car would never have seen the light of day. Blatant commercial reuse of a name, FWD with unbalanced lines. From some angles it is just too heavy. But that it just my, biased, view :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Well Steve, I'm afraid I have to disagree :D . CABC was perfectly happy to reuse the "Elite" name when it suited him. I also think the M100 is nicer looking than the last car Chapman was involved in - the X100.

Attached are a couple of pages of the Coys' auction catalogue from Silverstone 1998. (Their copyright). I include the M100 coupe concept version mentioned earlier.
Attachments
m100coupe.png and
X100..png and
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lightwait26 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 pm

stevebroad wrote:If CABC had been alive, this car would never have seen the light of day.

Amen
art
lightwait26
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Spyder fan"top, suddenly the oft derided wedge[/quote]

[quote="AHM wrote:
[By whom?

As the owner of both I can tell you that it is rather more admired for it's looks than the 60's elan, which attracts the somewhat older, wants to stop and tell you a story types.

I didn't intend this topic to turn into an Old versus New sort of LTC versus Zetec type of discussion. I don't dislike the M100.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm

[quote="richardcox_lotus"]Well Steve, I'm afraid I have to disagree :D . CABC was perfectly happy to reuse the "Elite" name when it suited him. quote]

Good point, but I didn't mean to imply that CABC wouldn't use the name again, that should have been in a separate sentance.

Fortunately, we all have our own, individual, tastes. I guess the M100 was the first of the new school looking to embrace the modern idea of driving the car from the wrong end :-)

I just don't like them. Didn't like them when they first appeared and they haven't improved with age. But, then again, neither have I.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: