A good book

PostPost by: Jens » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

... and a cup of tea. A pity though that there is nothing around to practise the theory on.

Cheers from a springy (as in spring is coming) Holland.

Jens
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Nice cup and saucer, are you going to bit a little milk in that tea or is it one of those funny smelling ones that my wife drinks???

The Parts book is better, lots of pictures but I will not tell you how it ends. :lol: :lol:
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Jason, if the question is if the tea is of the fylly synthethical type - the one that is flavoured with completely unnatural stuff and does not contain anything natural at all... The Chewing gum tasting type of tea. Then the answer is no, it is just plain earl grey. Nothing else.

Must get the book you recommended as soon as possible, sounds more exciting than The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (and that already is very exciting).

Cheers
J

P.S.
Milk does go pretty ok with tea.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A proper goblet of slosh and a better book. I will not spoil the story but it ends with a roll of tools and Jack. :lol:

The wife likes the Earl Grey and other flavoured tea, I like mine hot, wet and strong enough to stand a spoon up in!

Jason
Attachments
DSCF5724.JPG and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Jason1 wrote:The Parts book is better, lots of pictures but I will not tell you how it ends. :lol: :lol:

You're right.
The sweetest thing is , all the assemblies on that book are always new, complete, and clean!
On mines, the old man let its greasy fingerprints allmost everywhere... As on the car!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 pm

the parts list book looks like a great read - I have never seen these on ebay, where did you guys find yours?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Typhoo PG Tips everyday!
Me? Yes common as muck :lol:

More to the point; try "Colin Chapman INSIDE THE INNOVATOR"
Quite an eye opener & sometimes heavy going but a good buy :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:try "Colin Chapman INSIDE THE INNOVATOR"

And after that try "Flying on Four Wheels" - Frank Costin and his car designs"

A jolly good read, but guys are asking silly money for a copy since it went out of print.

Jens, to ease your pain of separation, don't try absinthe. OTOH, why not?

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:42 am

Ardee,

Absinthe with a bit of sugar is ok, but it makes me see strange things and forces me to apply newly learned skills on my bicycle. It just doesnt make sense, can't seem to find the doughnuts or the wateroump on it.

Think I'll just stick to the dark, strong, wet stuff you make from adding leaves to hot water.

Cheers and good morning.

Jens

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 pm

the parts list book looks like a great read - I have never seen these on ebay, where did you guys find yours?

It is very good. I have also never seen on on ebay; I bought mine from someones boot at Castle Combe. I think I paid ?20 which was a bargain even though it is tatty. There used to be downloadable one on the internet somewhere (the link is on an old posting) but I cannot find it.

P.S. the tea is PG

http://www.type50.com/plus2/Technical%2 ... Manual.pdf

FOUND IT! :D
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Probably the most interesting Elan book that I own (and I do have shelf-fulls) is the "Definitive Description of How to Build and Maintain a Legendary Car" in other words Brian Buckland's Lotus Elan Addendum Workshop Manual.It is very unlikely that this will ever be re-printed but it is still available via Club Lotus UK at 50 GBP, which is 20 GBP less than I paid when it came out. I'm actually thinking about getting another copy to sell on in ten years time.

The best Lotus book of all, imho, is "Jim Clark Life at Lotus" by Peter Darley. Peter was the official Team Lotus photographer and his work is seriously good. I have actually bought a second copy as an investment (still in its packaging) this book is already hard to find and will be a sure-fire investment.

Two non-Lotus car books which have escalated in value enormously recently are "The Certain Sound" by John Wyer (GT40 story) and "Lucky All my Life" by Harry Weslake. I think that I've missed the boat with those two. :evil:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Probably the most interesting Elan book that I own (and I do have shelf-fulls) is the "Definitive Description of How to Build and Maintain a Legendary Car" in other words Brian Buckland's Lotus Elan Addendum Workshop Manual.It is very unlikely that this will ever be re-printed but it is still available via Club Lotus UK at 50 GBP, which is 20 GBP less than I paid when it came out. I'm actually thinking about getting another copy to sell on in ten years time.

I'm just buying one at this moment, directly from Brian; a real gentleman.

He has an ad in the For Sale forum IIRC. Shipping across the pond is a bit dear, but what can you do?
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 pm

[quote="elansprint71"]Probably the most interesting Elan book that I own (and I do have shelf-fulls) is the "Definitive Description of How to Build and Maintain a Legendary Car" in other words Brian Buckland's Lotus Elan Addendum Workshop Manual.It is very unlikely that this will ever be re-printed but it is still available via Club Lotus UK at 50 GBP, which is 20 GBP less than I paid when it came out. I'm actually thinking about getting another copy to sell on in ten years time.

That's a bit of very smart thinking :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: