Life after elan

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:56 am

well yes, my lovely +2 is up for sale... a very tricky decision as most of you can probably sympathise, but I've had it and loved it for 3 years, and just fancy a change.. I also use it almost everyday, so sometimes require a little more than it can give..
SO.. now that my therapist has final prised a for sale ad out of me, and assuming it sells, what shall I buy next? The current leaders are an elise 111s or a Dare Ginetta G4.... anyone gt either of those and could offer some advice? Failing that, anything I've missed? I'd love aa baby elan, but d enough long drives to make having only 4 gears quite hard work... I'd love to have 2 cars, but on my salary, and at only 27, that ain't going to happen...
I know I will regret selling the elan in years to come, but at the moment, it's the right thing to do... so, what would best soften the blow?! I need a new toy... :D
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:24 am

Caterham 7................buy one, have a few months or so in a proper supercar and then sell it getting all your money back............the "free car" theory as my Mrs. hates me saying 8)

Elise.....have to agree. ( Insurance will be dear as opposed to 7's and elans though)

Westfield Megabusa at similar money

Z cars of KAD Mini :shock:

old shape C43 AMG C class merc.........if you're feeling sensible.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:52 pm

buy yourself a corvette and always get to your destination -starts in the wet -and your mates will gather around just feel the ground shake when you start it up - :lol: :lol: -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:33 pm

I `m on my 3rd Elise, 111R (fabulous), so I`m quite keen....... but If I had to sell the S3 Elan or the Elise, then the Elise would have to go. At 27, insurance will be another issue.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Ed is right about 'vettes starting in the wet, however, I live in Southern California, it doesn't rain that often, or that hard, most Corvettes here are not driven in the wet because they handle so poorly; once they start to slide, their weight makes it nearly impossible to reel them in without the aid of another solid object such as a tree, a guard rail, a parked car, etc.

Someone accustomed to driving a Lotus will soon do himself a mischief driving a Corvette in the same manner!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:55 pm

ya --but you can change your name to 'Bob ' and get a crew cut --Vet drivers just cruise the strip and admire themselves in the store windows any how ---and Brits know how to drive in the 'damp' ---the one wet day in so cal must be busy for the tow trucks --- :lol: --ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:40 pm

Ed,

You must have been watching our local news, it rained on the Grapevine Friday night! They'll be days getting that cleaned up.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:13 pm

oh yes we get the world famous K T L A NEWS UP HERE -----helps when we are huddled around the T.V. for warmth when there is 4 or 5 or so feet of snow out and the cat wont even go outside that some bodys warm ----what caused that pile up ???---ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:35 pm

0.10" of rain. It's crazy out here when it gets damp! All the smog,etc., settles on the roads all year long, then the first little rain turns the freeways into one huge oilslick!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DrEntropy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 am

"Back in th' day" my Elans were driven as daily transporters. Up where elancoupe lives. Rain, shine, SNOW... Now here in Florida I wouldn't take one out in the wet without a long thought. Not because it doesn't cope well, rather the place is littered with Buicks piloted by feeble minded blue-hair'd incomps. As soon as it drizzles they look like "dodgem" cars at the fair in every intersection.

"If it's Snow-bird Season, why can't we SHOOT 'em?!?!" :twisted:
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
'67 S-3 DHC
'69 +2
'64 MGB
'78 Alfa Spider
'84 300D Turbo
DrEntropy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Rob,
There's an Evante for sale in the latest "Classic & Sports Car" magazine.
May be of interest to you?

An Elan with all the needed improvements:- discuss :lol:

Exits rapidly

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:21 pm

Four words sum it up for me....
Great engine, looks crap.
:D Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Four words sum it up for me....
Great engine, looks crap.
:D Mark

Two words missing: really and really. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:39 am

Well that discussion set the forum on fire, a bit monosyllabic & very obviously a tabu subject.
What about Ginetta G15's?

runs for cover :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:48 pm

G15 is a great little car but it's no Elan, the chassis is fairly complex, built in just such a cheapo fashion as the Elan's but it is bonded into the glass. :evil: Therefore it's an absolute bastard to separate the two.
When I sold my first Elan in 76, I regretted it the next day (on my way to work in a V12 E-Type), just roll your car into a corner, forget it for a couple of years and buy an old Mini Cooper. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: