Poor modern imitation

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:20 am

Just been to my local Mazda dealers and had a look over the new MX5 (Miata) while I was there.

The MX5 has much smaller luggage capacity. The boot (trunk) is only half the size of the Elan's and there is not any space behind the seats.

The pedals are too close together to heel and toe. Not to mention the brakes are over servoed and the flywheel is too heavy so the engine is slow to gain and loose revs.

Things are a bit better on the move. Suspension technology has moved on a bit, the ride is good, bumps are handled well and the car holds a line through a corner. The steering however feels dead and does not give much feedback. Understeer is the normal behaviour with a lot of effort required to get the tail out.

The MX5 is still a good driver's car compared to most other moderns but you still can't beat the old Elan for performance, driving pleasure and practicality from a small sports car 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:18 am

Steve, absolutely agree with every word, I was rather disappointed too.
The one I'm watching at the moment is the BMW Z3M, I know that the lesser versions are for hairdressers only but with 321bhp, it's a totally fifferent deal. Just waiting for the right price :twisted:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bruss » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:24 pm

I may not make any new friends here but for a modern elan (sorry not plus 2) look at the z4 coupe. I've been fortunate enough to just buy an M coupe and by modern standards it's a bit harsh, has a rough ride but goes like stink, and its FUN! Just like an elan really. Yep it's bloody expensive up front but then my plus 2 has cost me around 3k plus 3.5 k plus 750.00 plus etc as the years, and even months go by. So for total cost of ownership (with residuals on ever selling) its prob not so far different. Of course if I'd wanted cheap motoring just don't buy a sports car
Loving the plus 2 when its running and looking forward to rebuilding the dhc.
68 plus 2 and 77? dhc - I'll take you out for a spin,- as soon as Ive got it working properly:-)
bruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:20 am

Wait a minute, msr. Bruss, are you selling BM w's? How many threads have you re-quoted yourself on?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:25 pm

I've come to my senses and I'm now looking at a Honda S2000 :twisted: as my daily smoker. any views?

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Back in September I had the new MX5 with the retractible hard top and full leather for a week and I must say it was quite nice and would make a really nice daily driver IMO. I disagree about pedal placement, as I found it to be one of the better I have experienced in a modern car. I thought it revved quite nicely as well. Car was a lot of fun to drive over the mountains and certainly got me thinking why am I messing with the Elan when this is nearly as fun and I don't have to think about it breaking (The previous weekend the throttle cable on the Elan had frayed and jammed wide open requiring flat bed service home). Also the wife and I could go for a cruise and not arrive smelling like Castrol. I was so enamored with the MX5 that I rushed back and made the repair on the Elan and took it for a spin to see if I really was crazy....
... the TC is being rebuilt to 150hp specification as I type :twisted:

I also had a new BMW Z4 roadster (not the M) for a few days before the MX5 and other than the wonderful six cylinder engine, I do not think it $25k better than the Mazda

I've come to my senses and I'm now looking at a Honda S2000 as my daily smoker. any views?

Pete.

The Honda is great, but not a lot of torque and you have to rev the piss out of it to get it on the boil, which is fun but may draw some unwanted attention to yourself.
despite the image, the Boxter is also a really great car and used ones are pretty reasonably priced (here at least)
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:47 pm

If any other car makes are quoted could you please star out the name. Seeing M*zda B*W and P*rche being talked about in glowing terms on a Lotus board makes me queasy.

:evil:
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:38 am

I too had hoped to modernize my Elanitis disease with a H*nda S2000, until they came out and I saw how big it was, ugh.... I was hoping for something Civic sized...
The M*ata is OK in my book.
And as a very happy Peug*ot Turbo owner,
MY queasiness concerning BM* and P*rch puts them on my no buy list..
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:29 pm

M100 wrote:If any other car makes are quoted could you please star out the name. Seeing M*zda B*W and P*rche being talked about in glowing terms on a Lotus board makes me queasy.

:evil:

Pr*t*n Elise. :twisted: You mean like that? :lol:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:58 am

I`ve yet to see a Z4M without a vanity number plate, and that says it all. BMWs, Mercedes, and big 4wds go for this sort of thing. Whereas Lotus and other real enthusiast`s cars rarely do. I`ve never seen one at a track day. Is it because real enthusiasts buy a car for their own pleasure rather than to show off?
On a more appropriate note: I drove an early, bottom of the range LHD Miata last month and was really REALLY impressed. I don`t care for the girly looks but that aside, for a cheap to buy and run sporty car, I thought it was absolutely excellent.
Looking forward to a ride in Pete`s S2000.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:51 pm

I don't know about that, I see lots of vanity plates on Lotus Elise/Exige/Esprits
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:03 pm

mopho wrote:I don't know about that, I see lots of vanity plates on Lotus Elise/Exige/Esprits

So that would (apart for very early Esprits) be Protons and Toyotas? :twisted:

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:06 pm

You could say that :wink:
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Ironic, this topic being a discussion on vanity plates. ME ATALVR
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:02 pm

mopho wrote:Back in September I had the new MX5 with the retractible hard top and full leather for a week and I must say it was quite nice... certainly got me thinking why am I messing with the Elan when this is nearly as fun and I don't have to think about it breaking (The previous weekend the throttle cable on the Elan had frayed and jammed wide open requiring flat bed service home).

Funny you should say that. Recently, my Elan throttle cable frayed and jammed also, so while at the junk yard, I yanked a throttle cable from a...........Mazda. Naturally, it's much better than what came with the Elan.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: