Chain Hoist

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 am

I bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P ... _at_prodpg

Excellent product just as described, most such hoists cost MUCH more. Comes in its own tiny crate. I used it to lift a very heavy antique lathe and will also be using it to lift the engine of my Elan

Some links on the manual effort chain are not welded (may be deliberate as a safety feature) but that is unimportant since even the unwelded links handle the max manual effort. .

The 1 ton model would be suffiecient for Elan work, but I wasn't sure that that would be enough for the lathe so I bought the heavier one. The only actual difference is that the heavy lift chain is longer so that it has two lift chains working with a pulley at the bottom.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:32 pm

I have pulled T C engines with a nylon come along and a 4x4 in the garage attic over head door . A proper engine hoist is safer and better and you never have to store it because its always out at your friends on loan ?but I dont move lathes of the 12th century vintage around ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Peviously for engine removal I used a nylon rope (cord) hoist which went round & round about 8 lines (4 grooves on the pulleys).

This chain hoist is much better.

Its a 1904 lathe... Not quite middle ages. :D
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:16 am

Bill
Thats exactly the same as my one!
It worked a treat, I just put a beam accross the garage on joist hangers with a big hook and lifted away :)

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:23 am

My garage is under the house so the concrete roof of my garage is the floor of the living room above. Being prestressed concrete beams, they cannot be drilled into, but fortunately the living room is split level, which means there are level changes in the roof of the garage. The vertical bits where the levels change are brickwork, so are drillable and hefty rawlbolts can be inserted . The load is then sideways (using a short chain U on the rawlbolts) so not being pulled outwards. The chain-hoist is then clipped into a shackle on the rawlbolts chain.

Here is a photo of the partly-dismantled lathe, suspended on the chain hoist and being placed onto strong castored boards so that it can be pulled out from the corner where it has been snug for about 40 years. You can just see the red gearbox of the chainhoist at the top of that picture. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the rawlbolts and shackle and I've now taken them down.

Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: