what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm

I have a 1967 Super Safety and the tool kit is missing as well as the mallet/tool for removal. Does anyone have a picture of the original, better yet a part #? The SS has the turned/bent in tabs, did it use a different tool?
Attachments
Elan S3 SS knockoff.jpg and
Wheel
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 pm

My 67 S3 coupe, has a hammer with copper on one side and nylon on the other side (I think).
Whole thing weighs about 3 to 4 pounds.

Sorry, not sure what brand it is and not sure if any brand name is still readable.

Probably looked a bit like this internet picture when it was new.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 am

Mine is a simple wood handle with a solid lead head. I am not sure it is original. The hide faced ones were not hard enough to tighten the K/O.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Bill
Not sure if they were original Lotus supply but
your picture is of a "Thor" copper/hide mallet.
One face is copper the other Animal hide.
They should still be available. I have used them all my working life but not bought one for a while.
You can also buy just the replacement faces rather than a complete new mallet if you have an old one.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:29 pm

cliveyboy wrote:Bill
Not sure if they were original Lotus supply but
your picture is of a "Thor" copper/hide mallet.
One face is copper the other Animal hide.
They should still be available. I have used them all my working life but not bought one for a while.
You can also buy just the replacement faces rather than a complete new mallet if you have an old one.
Clive

I just checked, mine is definitely copper & nylon not leather-hide.

>You can also buy just the replacement faces rather than a complete new mallet if you have an old one.
Heh heh, that assumes you can get the old one out. Not much chance on mine now, too battered.
I'll post a photo when I've prepped it.

LotusHammer_800.jpg and
The hammer that came with my Lotus Elan in 1969, when the car was about 18 months old.

I'm pretty sure mine is original as the car was only about a year old when I bought it.
Last edited by billwill on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:48 pm

StressCraxx wrote:Mine is a simple wood handle with a solid lead head. I am not sure it is original. The hide faced ones were not hard enough to tighten the K/O.

I'm pretty sure that the one you have described is the correct one although my memory is of a solid metal head, brighter in colour than lead & a properly profiled hammer handle.
Damned if I know how to find it but one was pictured in a recent post on here.

In any case the Thor hammers regardless of what faces they had on them were not original equipment, they have an Iron body which can cause considerable damage to anything they may hit!

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
StressCraxx wrote:Mine is a simple wood handle with a solid lead head. I am not sure it is original. The hide faced ones were not hard enough to tighten the K/O.

I'm pretty sure that the one you have described is the correct one although my memory is of a solid metal head, brighter in colour than lead & a properly profiled hammer handle.
Damned if I know how to find it but one was pictured in a recent post on here.

In any case the Thor hammers regardless of what faces they had on them were not original equipment, they have an Iron body which can cause considerable damage to anything they may hit!

Cheers
John

Was this the post John ?.......post180041.html#p180041

The original lead mallets are still available from Thor in various weights described as "BARREL SHAPE SOLID LEAD MALLETS
Solid cast antimonial Lead heads."
Attachments
Thor Lead Mallet.jpg
Thor Lead Mallet.jpg (3.7 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks Roger,

yes that was the post I was thinking of & the hammer pictured looks just like the one I had with my Mk14 Elite; so I feel pretty certain that Lotus would have supplied something identical or very similar.
It has the weight & fairly soft material for the head, not that it wouldn't damage the body if you had a poor aim or trying to change a wheel at night in a dark country lane.

So do you also think that this would be original equipment?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Thanks Roger,

yes that was the post I was thinking of & the hammer pictured looks just like the one I had with my Mk14 Elite; so I feel pretty certain that Lotus would have supplied something identical or very similar.
It has the weight & fairly soft material for the head, not that it wouldn't damage the body if you had a poor aim or trying to change a wheel at night in a dark country lane.

So do you also think that this would be original equipment?

Cheers
John

Yes I think it is. Certainly that's what came with my car and I've always assumed it to be original although I cannot be 100% certain as the car was already a couple of years old when I bought it. Of course this does not answer the OP question as to what came with the SS cars but I suspect it would have been the same tool.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:08 pm

My parts book shows a hammer on the last page of the book. No manufacturers name is given. Thor are a long established manufacturer of soft faced hammers, probably the market leader. My car came to me without a hammer, but looking at the parts list and the Thor hammer shown I think they are the same thing.

Lead hammers can be deceptive in as much as use changes the shape of the head. When I started work (heavy engineering) in the 1960's we used lead hammers extensively. One day the apprentice instructor collected all our hammers, which were all sorts of shapes, and replaced with new, and they looked just like the Thor lead hammer shown earlier in this post.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 pm

The Thor lead hammers come in several different weights, can someone weigh there's & let us know which size was used?
ThorLeadHammers.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:45 pm

pharriso wrote:The Thor lead hammers come in several different weights, can someone weigh there's & let us know which size was used?
The attachment ThorLeadHammers.JPG is no longer available

Bear in mind that mine is pretty beat up after 40 odd years and I cannot be 100% sure that it is original but it weighs in at 800g including the handle and is around 280mm overall length. Looks like the smallest modern equivalent is a bit heavier although the dimensions are pretty similar.
Lead mallet.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 pm

12 Posts on the subject & not one reply from our own famous Hammer collector; I wonder where he's hiding :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Both my first (1974) an more recent 1969 S4dhc's had Thor Copper/Hide combination hammers.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm

holywood3645 wrote:Both my first (1974) an more recent 1969 S4dhc's had Thor Copper/Hide combination hammers.
James

Hi James,
Were they both as originally supplied ?
Seems likely that both types were used - possibly according to availability at the time. Paul Matty in the UK lists what they refer to as the "original" hammer and it looks like the lead one, however SJ Sportscars - also in the UK - show a copper/hide type in their parts list, although they do not call it "original", so who knows. Since Thor would have been the most likely supplier of both types maybe someone could ask them what they supplied.....no I am not volunteering !
PM Lead mallet.JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: