Front Shock absorbers

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm

nmauduit wrote:
alanr wrote:
So I now have a company called the Shock Factory are making me a pair of springs for delivery before Xmas.

1.9 inches inside diameter
12 inches free length
125lbs rate
8.53mm wire diameter
14.625 total coils

interesting : would you let me know the cost of having a pair made (in PM if you don't care sharing that publicly) and your satisfaction level when you get them eventually ? thank you !

for my setup I need 2" ID front springs (Koni perches), which are a bit scarce, and had a hard time to source the length/rate I wanted...

Yes a bit of a leap of faith on my part never having done this before so I too will be very interested in the quality!...And also the end result when I fiit them to the shocks and they are installed on my car!
?66 for the pair including vat and delivery which I thought was very reasonable.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:38 pm

alanr wrote:
nmauduit wrote:
alanr wrote:
So I now have a company called the Shock Factory are making me a pair of springs for delivery before Xmas.

1.9 inches inside diameter
12 inches free length
125lbs rate
8.53mm wire diameter
14.625 total coils

interesting : would you let me know the cost of having a pair made (in PM if you don't care sharing that publicly) and your satisfaction level when you get them eventually ? thank you !

for my setup I need 2" ID front springs (Koni perches), which are a bit scarce, and had a hard time to source the length/rate I wanted...

Yes a bit of a leap of faith on my part never having done this before so I too will be very interested in the quality!...And also the end result when I fiit them to the shocks and they are installed on my car!
?66 for the pair including vat and delivery which I thought was very reasonable.

/edit e.g.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/co ... er-frss-12

very reasonable indeed... maybe too reasonable for a full custom job, in case they really told you that when ordering? anyway if they are to the specs and of reasonable quality (not sag over 5% over time) then you'll be set.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:03 pm

An Update..

The Springs I had made have arrived and I am pleased with both quality, price and service from the 'The Shock Factory'. I have now assembled them, fitted them to the car and all is good...I am now a happy bunny. :D

To recap :- I went for a 12inch 125lb spring, and for those following on, a 12inch spring is definitely the right length to use with Spax G792 adjustable shocks if you want to retain the original +2S130 ride height.
Looking back in this thread you will see that initially I fitted as recommended a standard 14.59 inch spring to the Spax shock absorbers which was far too long, gave me no adjustment and the car looked as if it was on steroids!...So I had to strip and start again.
The 12inch spring I now have on my car puts the bottom adjustment platform in the midway position at the correct ride height so giving options either way if needed in the future.
I am now leaving it for a few days to settle, then tighten up the wishbones, refit the anti roll bar and re-tweak things if at all required. Damper settings will have to wait until in the Spring when I can road test the car.

ready-for-fitment-to-car.jpg and
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Looks like a good result. Did you fit the springs yourself?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Yep.....Done them twice now and also the strip of the Armstrongs because I wanted to retain the Armstrong dirt shields.
Pic of tooI made out of 1/4 inch plate which works safely and extremely well if a little slow going.
elan-2-shock-absorber-tool.jpg and

shocker-being-compressed.jpg and
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I came up with something very similar from bits lying around the garage but it doesn't look as sturdy as yours. With a longer spring the tension (in both senses) was getting towards the limit by the time I could get the collet in place. Even with ratchet spanners it took a while to do each one.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I made a quick operation front spring compressor which was safe and easy to use. Someone in the Penrith area borrowed it some years ago. If you read this can you please return it.
Thanks Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: