Painting new calipers

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 am

I'm fitting new plated calipers and I want a painted finish rather than the 'Silver look' that will tarnish soon enough.

I've tried Hammerite but that doesn't seem to stick too well to the plating. Any idea's/recommendations please?

thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:37 am

Just in the last few days I tried the E-tech caliper paint (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVER-Caliper ... iper+paint).

I didn't have time to do an in-depth refurbishment - that is get them dipped/stripped and plated - so I brushed off the corrosion and stripped the old paint (it dissolved with carb cleaner) and just wanted a coating that would prevent further corrosion.

It has the consistency of smooth Hammerite so it's quite sticky to apply, and when applying it it seems to be difficult to get a uniform finish because the final appearance seems to be sensitive to the direction of the brush strokes. Coverage was ok - I did one coat everywhere, and then a second coat on the exposed parts. In the end, the final appearance was better than expected but still not the flat finish you'd expect from conventional paint. I can post a photo if you're interested.

Adhesion didn't seem to be a problem, but the plating on mine was long-since tarnished, or gone completely, so that will probably have provided more of a key than a fresh plated finish.

It took a long time to dry. Like Hammerite, it was mostly dry (just slightly tacky) after about 45 minutes, but then it remained slightly sticky for a few days despite being in the airing cupboard.

It's not the same stuff as Hammerite, because I tried cleaning the brush with Hammerite thinners, and it all congealed. Cellulose thinners (as they suggest) worked fine.

I don't know how durable it is yet, obviously.

Overall conclusion: simple and effective but, in terms of the final appearance, but I think you'd get a better result with a more conventional enamel, especially if you're starting off from a pristine state.

Edit: I've still got 90% of the tin if you want yours silver :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shaun » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 am

Zinc coated , cheaper than a rattle can
Attachments
195262ce-533d-4cdd-b263-e88c5a4765db.jpeg and
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks both, my calipers are already (zinc?) coated but I want coloured finish. The Hammerite wouldn't stick to the new plated finish and that's my challenge.

I've used various caliper paints before on old calipers in the past, it's the new finish that's the issue. I know that zinc finish can be problematic and cadmium primers are recommended but I'd really like a single coat finish that will stand the heat and the abuse from road muck and wet.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:08 pm

I would think that you need to use a high temperature engine-paint for such a task.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Probably need an etching primer or a paint specially for aluminium calipers.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:59 pm

I have used this product successfully in the past:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/foliate ... er-243118/

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:20 pm

I've now scraped the Hammerite off one of the calipers, it flaked off very easily, not good.

The Foliate sounds good, two packs do tend to stick well and I'm sure it's good on older calipers.

Has anyone painted new, plated calipers???
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I once used Hammerite clear lacquer on a set of newly plated calipers to prevent them dulling. It's not like Hammerite paint - it sets properly IIRC. Anyway.. the calipers looked great after a year so I concluded it was a good decision. Brush painted too.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: