Have I done something wrong

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:13 am

I believe there should be the rubber bump stops on the shock shafts whichever make and model of shock you have, the only difference may be the size / shape of the rubber stops supplied with the dampers.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 am

After sleeping on it I can see no harm in removing the washer and fitting a spacer between the damper top and rubber , it would act like a adjustable platform altering the ride height .

If one had longer/stronger springs it might help..

If I had a degree in Trigonometry I could probably work out the ratio of thickness of spacer to the change in ride height....

Anyone ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

. . . if the wheelbase is 8 foot and the nose extension is about 3 feet past the front axle . . . if you drop the front suspension a half inch, the tip of the bumper would drop 1/2" plus 3/8 times 1/2", which would be . . . 1/2" + 3/16" = 11/16". :mrgreen:

Whatever . . . it's a start. The rest can be had in true hotrod fashion: take a torch to a couple turns of the front springs till they sack out enough :wink: :mrgreen:

Sorry . . . I don't have any other great ideas . . . ride height is time and money intensive. :shock:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:19 am

img_1063.jpg and
Picture before new springs fitted.
Here's a picture of my elan not a plus 2,but I think the design is the same. I fitted new springs and it sat high to start with , after I put some downward force on it for a few weeks it now sits just right.
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JR44 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks guys for all your comments suggestions ill give it a bit longeron its wheels an put some miles on the car if no joy ill get some new spings and possibly adjustable shocks
Thanks
John
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ianthomson72 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm

The workshop manual detailsl the following loadings before tightening up the wishbone nuts.

front seats 168 lbs
back seats 80lbs
boot 72lbs
fuel tank 50 lbs

Regards
ianthomson72
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: