Wheel nut dimensions?

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 pm

vincereynard wrote:See the prototype of what I might make below.

An interesting concept, I suspect you will need four pins, 90 degrees apart for a good fit on the eight-sided wrenching surface of the knock-on nut. I would not have too much compliance in the covering you want to put on the pins. You need to bring the knock-on nuts up to 250 ft-lb and you don't want it to slip off easily. Why not make brass pins instead?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Vince,
I made a similar tool to the one you have shown, and wrapped a soft material around the 'posts'.
Although it sort of works, it's very unstable as you ideally want to secure around each spinner ear. When I use mine, I have to be really careful that the 'posts' stay in contact with the ears by holding the 1/2" drive bar in line with the wheel. If you don't, it can be quite painful when it slips off.
I now use an old leather welding gauntlet and a club hammer (crude but safe!)

Kev

sam_1856-640x480.jpg and

sam_1859-640x480.jpg and
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:13 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote: An interesting concept, I suspect you will need four pins, 90 degrees apart for a good fit on the eight-sided wrenching surface of the knock-on nut. I would not have too much compliance in the covering you want to put on the pins. You need to bring the knock-on nuts up to 250 ft-lb and you don't want it to slip off easily. Why not make brass pins instead?

I agree I had wondered if it was possible to make a one fits all but there is no real point. 4 pins at 90 degrees should work. As to brass I don't have enough metallurgy to know if it would be strong enough!

KevJ+2 wrote:Vince,
I made a similar tool to the one you have shown, and wrapped a soft material around the 'posts'.
Although it sort of works, it's very unstable as you ideally want to secure around each spinner ear.
Kev

That is very useful as I was wondering quite how stable it would be as it is pushing on a angled part.
So it needs additional "ears" that slip behind the spinner arms so it cannot slip off.

It ends up as a cheap version of the posh - http://knockoffspinnertool.com

And it looks like lots of people have had a (rather more elegant) attempt.

tool-talk-f43/spinner-tool-t30392.html

I'll probably have a go anyway. Maybe when Toad actually has an engine!

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: