Elan S3 Resto/Compleat Brake System Old or New

PostPost by: Oziswan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 am

Hi all... I have been a member for some months . And have finally purchused a S3 Elan (For full Resto) from the US and now shipped it to Australia..The car is very sound 48000 Miles,Californian Car..Appears to have last been take of the road in 1979.Dismantled..Resprayed.Thats about as far as it progressed..What I have is an Elan with Original Chassis /Body Excellent condition..Engine/Gearbox/Diff/Suspention/Wheels/Glass.....
But many of the Auxillery Parts have become seperated from the car over the years ..Example 1.. the complete Braking System..
Would appreciate the members opinions ..Do I source all the original brake components..Callipers/Servo/Master cylinder/etc and recondition,or take the opportunity and spend the money on a updated system (If there is such a thing for the Elan)..I don't plan to race the car ,or show as cocourse.but would like to keep it prity original,but when it comes to brakes dont have a problem with improvements.
Appreciate Forum Members Opinions and Leads..
Martin
OZ
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: dgym » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:54 am

Hi Martin,
I too am a S3 owner in Australia (Melbourne). My advice would be that the stock brakes are well good enough. I actually removed the servo from my car as it wasn't working and I didn't feel it was needed anyway. Lots of other forum members have removed servos I believe.
Usually sticking with stock components leads to much less stuffing around trying to make things fit.

welcome to the forum! where in Aus are you?
-Jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Oziswan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks Jim..
Wise advice..I have a couple of other classics without servo's and they stop ok,considering the weight of the Elan am suprised they fitted them to the early cars.
I live 400Klms south of Perth WA..Would like to comunicate with you off forum if you are agreable..
My email is [email protected]..
Cheers
Martin
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:33 am

Martin

The brake system components are readily available except for the rear caliper and hand brake components that hang off the main rear caliper. The were Elan specific ( I think also used on some obscure Italian car of the same era) but they do come up on Ebay from time to time - mainly from people doing brake conversions or scrapping plus 2's.

The standard brakes will do all you want even in a competition car. Modern hi coefficient of friction pads mean a booster is not really required even in a plus 2 ( even if it ever was back in the 60's which is questionable)

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:35 am

Rear calipers are tricky to source but if you have them then refurb them and get new everything else you need. All available. I actually run +2 calipers, discs on the front, that with the removal of the servo gives me the best braking I've ever had on this little car. The + 2 calipers would only be spotted by the anal ( ie most on here :D )
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oziswan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks Rohan & Graeme..
Rohan I see you are in Melbourne ..if aggreable would like to comunicate of Forum...my email [email protected]..
Again Thanks Guys
Martin
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:20 am

It might be worth contacting Classicar Automotive they will certainly have the rear calipers and any other braking components you want. They are great people but usually only do the rears on an exchange basis but if you explain your predicament they might give you a price for outright sale. Their refurbishment work is superb of which there are many examples on here.

I'd also chase up the previous owner for any missing bits I can't imagine them selling off parts from an otherwise complete car so must have them somewhere.

Good Luck
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,

I just posted a set for sale I have a refurbished set of fronts and a complete set - in the for sale section...
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:39 am

Oziswan wrote:Thanks Rohan & Graeme..
Rohan I see you are in Melbourne ..if aggreable would like to comunicate of Forum...my email [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank..
Again Thanks Guys
Martin

Hi Martin

From Oziswan i guess you were in WA. Always happy to help via email, I have sent you onel

cheers
Rohan
Last edited by rgh0 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oziswan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:49 am

Hi Memnon...Yes would like to buy the set you have have posted you in the for sale section.
Cheers Martin
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 am

Having once experienced total brake failure on an Elan S3 (cut hose) I recommend fitting a tandem master cylinder so the front and rear brakes are n separate circuits. I did this on mine with a remote reservoir and also removed the servo. I'm very happy with the brakes now.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oziswan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks Galwaylotus..
Makes a lot of sence...Especialy when I am starting the instalation from scratch ..
Martin
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:36 am

The servo is completely unnecessary in the Elan. Mine has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky years ago, and with appropriate pads and cylinder bore, I've never looked back. I was just out for a spirited drive on some twisty roads on Saturday, and was reminded how great unassisted brakes feel in such a light car.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oziswan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:05 am

Sounds Good Adigra ..Yes The Feel...Subtelty .Light Car ..
And most importantly Good Pair of Shoes..?
Oziswan
New-tral

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 am

Oziswan wrote:Sounds Good Adigra ..Yes The Feel...Subtelty .Light Car ..
And most importantly Good Pair of Shoes..?

Definitely!

My S3 went through a full restoration in my ownership. Although it was complete when I got it, it needed absolutely everything doing. It had the original servo, which tended to lock up randomly, and getting rid of it was one of the best "improvements" I've made.

I also have standard brakes, which are more than good enough, but as I mentioned, smaller diameter master cylinder and softer pads are a very good idea to give a much better feel and less force required. There are quite a few threads on the forums regarding exact specs, etc..
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: