Rear caliper rebuilder

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Does anyone have the name of a rebuilder that will fix the seat the bleeder seats against? I have one
rear that constantly weeps fluid from, I think the bleeder. I pulled the bleeder out and it was badly
grooved. I put in another good looking bleeder (no groove) but it still weeps. With the car sitting, and the caliper wiped dry, I'll see fluid around the area and a run down the casting after two days of sitting. I think the seat is deformed, but I'm just guessing, at this point. But hopefully a good rebuilder can determine this.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:21 pm

http://www.classicbrake.co.uk/

Note there is no S after "brake", their advert in Club Lotus magazine has had that erroneous S in there for yonks.

Email is, I hope, [email protected] or [email protected]

Note too, that there are a lot of domain names that are ALMOST the same as that above, but this is the correct one.

Several members here have used their services and I personally have been using their services for 20 or 30 years. Always with excellent results.

Only snag is, from your point of view, that they are in England not USA.
Last edited by billwill on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks Bill. They were my first thought, too, although I couldn't find their site. I'll see what comes in from
the US side.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:57 am

gjz30075 wrote:Does anyone have the name of a rebuilder that will fix the seat the bleeder seats against? I have one
rear that constantly weeps fluid from, I think the bleeder. I pulled the bleeder out and it was badly
grooved. I put in another good looking bleeder (no groove) but it still weeps. With the car sitting, and the caliper wiped dry, I'll see fluid around the area and a run down the casting after two days of sitting. I think the seat is deformed, but I'm just guessing, at this point. But hopefully a good rebuilder can determine this.

Hello Bill,

Contact Keith Averill, Averill Racing Stuff in Michigan. He performs complete refurbishment services for Girling calipers. I am sure he has done this kind of repair before. He is very highly regarded in the racing community. Usual disclaimers, other than a very satisfied customer. Keith also supplies some excellent brake pads for cars like ours.
http://racing-stuff.com/services.htm
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:57 pm

That's good to know about Averill because his shop is nearby. I had just assumed he worked on race cars only.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:15 pm

I would imagine Hemmings Motor News would have a listing for caliper repairers on your side of the ball
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:56 pm

lotocone wrote:That's good to know about Averill because his shop is nearby. I had just assumed he worked on race cars only.

Bob,
I think that's true, he only works on race cars. However, if you bring or send him a caliper, he can repair or refurbish for you. All it takes is a phone call.

Leaking bleeders are a common issue on race cars, because we bleed brakes frequently and sometimes some of us over tighten or strip threads in our haste to make a session.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:55 am

Check with famous frank, I'm sure he'll know of someone in your area.
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: