another dumb question......

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:18 pm

I think you are being too complicated, As Ronan says, they will bend themselves into postion.

They are fastened to the main caliper and you will have found, though we forgot to mention it above, that you need to remove the lifters before you can swivel the handbrake calipers out far enough to lift out the pads.

When you are about to replace them you gently bend the outside( the bit that contacts the slot in the pad), outwards a few degrees . Next with the new pads in place and the adjusting rod screwed to about the right place say about 5 to 10 thou pad clearnce, you start to fit these lifting fingers back in and slip the bolt through one and through the main caliper then through the second one. You will now find that the hole in the lifter finger is not flat against the main caliper, because the outer end of the finger is already in contact with the slot in the pad and the pad is already in contact with the handbrake caliper.

As you tighten the nyloc nut on the bolt through the lifter fingers their inner surfaces will become parallel to each other and their outer parts will bend to the correct position.

Finally double check that the cabin handbrake is in the fully released position and use the rod adjuster to set the pad clearance, which the book says should be 3 thou (each side?) , check that the cabin lever pulls tight aboiut half way along its travel.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:23 pm

maybe you're right bill [about me over complicating things...]
my guiding principle is to try to do a job properly, then hopefully won't have to do it again :D
I'm grateful for the tips on the assembly routine, which makes perfect sense!
just trying to find suitable springs to fit over the adjusting rod......any one supply them? [sue miller doesn't...]
fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:35 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:34 pm

hi john... yes tried ebay thanks......couldn't find the right one, thought maybe someone did them....
fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: