Larger Sway Bar

PostPost by: gus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Was wondering if anyone has sourced a larger front bar for the +2.

Have a spyder chassis with mounts for the rear bar and was considering trying a larger front, small rear but do not see anyone showing them

USA based would be preferable as the shipping gets pricey
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Ok......you may be thinking backwards , you may want to. Transfer weight to the front suspension that allows the chassis to To transmit the energy to the front suspension causing the front loaded side to collapse keeping both front tires on the road and avoids 3 wheeling and makes the tires work so You can keep the power down in corners ..so. Big bar at the back and small one in the front.....ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 am

dunno what you are getting at

larger front bar requires small rear bar to balance and prevent massive understeer.

no one puts a big bar in the rear unless they like driving backwards
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Lotus knew what they were doing and got the suspension design pretty right for the tyres of the day. Modern tyres are stickier and most cars need a little stiffer suspension and roll stiffness to extract the best out of them.

The Plus 2 with its wider track and longer wheel base needs less stiffening than an Elan with modern tyres and for normal road use I have not bothered stiffening up my plus 2 despite running modern track day tyres such as Dunlop DZ3G or Yoko A048R on it for normal road use.

If I was doing anything I would try a 7/8 inch front roll bar at the front first and then a 50% rate increase in front and rear springs, finally I would try a light rear bar. Spacing down the rear Aeon rubber springs / bump stops so they come into play earlier is a good substitute for a rear bar to stiffen the rear roll. Lotus put 40mm alloy spacers on the later plus 2's rear struts and this is a worthwhile addition for both handling and for when you have extra weight in the car. A lot of cars have lost the Aeon springs over the years on the rear struts as people don't understand how critical these are to the overall handling, Lotus did not put them there for decoration :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Quite the opposite I like to drive forward very quickly ...don't believe me?? Screw your front suspension down with weight. Transfer nice and tight so the lthe front wheel lifts off the ground in a fast turn for over steer ....and.see....bring fresh undies ..Ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 pm

ummmm whatever
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Right Dude ....when you write off the Car sell me the dash pad ,,,,Ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

when you write your book revolutionizing automotive suspension design, you let me know. Till then the larger bar in the front, where the load is, and the smaller in the back will have to do.

I take it you know of no sources of sway bars of any dimension anyway
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:45 am

twincamman wrote:Right Dude ....when you write off the Car sell me the dash pad ,,,,Ed

If you have a cheap source of whatever it is, let us all know!
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:24 am

Welllll if you know all the answers why did you ask the question????? :lol: but the suspension must work that's why Lotus put low pound. Springs on the car.....but please your self ....

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm

I asked a question that I did not know the answer to, and you did not answer it.

Rohan explained what seems a valid change in setup.

Your contribution, however makes no sense, and frankly is of no use to me.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: