Steering Rack Bush Replacement

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 am

Hi All,
Can someone please comment on replacing, non pinion end rack bush. Need to know how difficult it is to remove and replace bush and whether or not it will require reaming. A step by step description would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Colin,

I can't be of too much help but since no one else has answered: I removed the rack, took the rack and replacement bush to a friendly automotive machine shop, explained the problem, and said "Make it so." I recall that I was unable to get the pinion out of the rack body for some reason, making it impossible for me to attempt the job myself. I don't know whether the shop reamed the bushing, but it was nice and tight when I picked it up and the play in the steering was gone.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Colin,
The replacement bush that Paul Matty supplies does not need reaming. Whilst fitting a new bush will improve things the rack is bound to be somewhat worn. It is worth doing though.
You will need to pull the old bush out, you'll need to make a puller with a couple of washers of the correct size, some studding and a piece of tube. The new one just pushes in, I have a press but it should bash in with a hammer and piece of wood if you're careful.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:59 pm

biggest problem is the end of the rack is not worn so to get the rack to fit through, you need to ream it to 'worn' condition. Probably still better than the old one but frustrating
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm

I am not aware of a reamer that adds metal!!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 pm

nor should you be.........
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks All,
Job done. Managed to remove the old bush with a socket that just slipped down the tube and a couple of extensions to hammer on. The new one required a Press to get it home and it didn't require reaming. The bush was worn enough to allow the rack shaft to move noticeably, but it hasn't cured the noise the recently started which is why I was looking in the first place.
I will start a new thread, in regard to the noise, to see if I can get some clues.
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: