4.5 vs 5 inch rim

PostPost by: phillipcoombs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 am

Has anyone put a 5 inch +2 rim on an early Series 1 or 2 Elan which came with a 4.5 inch knock on steel rim? If so did it fit without modification, what tires size did you use?
Thanks
phillipcoombs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 am

Hi,

There have been a few threads about this in the past, I think this was one of the latest

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-f14/plus-wheels-baby-elan-t21773.html

There are potential clearance problems on the A frame and spring. The +2 hubs are different (John posted a picture on this thread) to give more A frame clearance, but having said that, it would appear some folks manage with standard (2-seater) hubs. I think it depends what spring diameter & tyres you're intending to use. There are loads of threads on that one, pop "+2 wheels" into the search (top of the page) and you'll be going all day !

cheers

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Not all cars may be as fortunate as mine.

I upgraded to 5.5" +2 wheels and 165X13 tyres with no interference issues.

A later tyre replacement with 185/70X13 tyres produced interference with the rear spring collars and the inside of the wheel well. A hammer gave me enough clearance on the inside, relieving the inside of the wheel well gave clearance there.

A later replacement with 185/60X13 tyres produced more interference. I changed to small diameter rear springs to get clearance on the inside and relieved the inside of the wheel well even more.

The 165 tyres and 5.5" wheels are a good upgrade, producing better handling, more precise steering and it takes a sharp eye to notice the changes for those who value stock looks.

But I had to be careful turning while going over bumps since the tyre fouls the front wheel arch. The stock tyre probably does the same, but at a greater speed.

But, as numerous posts indicate, different cars have slightly different clearances, so your car may not be as amenable to these upgrades.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: