Plus 2 Front brake conversion

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am

Looking to convert my Elan to the Plus 2 front brakes. I have the calipers and the discs are easy enough to get. But does anyone have a picture of the caliper mounting plates I need? I found a set, but it doesn't look like anything I have seen from any factory manual. Manual shows a rectangular mount much like the standard Elans. Is this a later version, or maybe a GT6 backing plate? Can it be used? Thanks Allan

DSC08713.JPG
DSC08713.JPG (25.59 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ArnoCaterham » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 am

we have complete uprights for +2, if we have to strip them it cost about 2 hours time.

So make me a good offer

Kind regards, arno

arno2caterham.nl
ArnoCaterham
New-tral

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 pm

They look fine, I did the same many years ago and as I recall my brackets were similar.
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm

These are the ones I used from a Triumph GT6, I used the uprights and everything and the bolt on wheels fit without issues.

The photo is from this topic
elan-f14/sows-ear-chassis-t24752-40.html

GT6 hubs and uprights disassembled.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grant K » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm

They look just like my +2 ones.
Grant
Attachments
PB180307.JPG and
P1080428.JPG and
Grant K
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you all and appreciate the great pictures. Makes this much easier now, Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 pm

This has been discussed at length maybe four(?) years ago; one thing to remember is that there are three different versions of +2 brakes and not all the parts will inter-change. I can't recall the numbers for the different versions, but the latest available were metric-threaded.
All the info is on here somewhere and I did the job fairly easily, using the posted info; just a bit of hacking about the brake-shield to make it fit. I'm fairly sure that there are pictures showing this mod.
The consensus was to fit the larger brakes an bin the servo, retaining the same master-cylinder; there was a lot of talk about using different sized cylinders but everyone who kept the same one said it worked fine. It is nice knowing that the front brakes will lock first! :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Did mine at the start of the year and those look the same as mine.
Not so sure about the green pads I got from Kelvedon. Maybe I just need to bleed everything again.
I've kept the servo presently.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm

I was never happy with my Sprint brakes, fully rebuilt with new discs and pads, never felt they would stop me. SO I changed out the discs and pads for Green Stuff grooved diss all round and new green stuff pads. I have to say they are now spot on.. No problems at all.

Also, some guy from Scandinavia was offering a a four pot Willwood caliper, alloy brakes set up on here. IMHO if you change the brakes out that would be the way to go, cost permitting. Only disadvantage is that the brake shield won't fit afterwards.

If fact just found the link...

http://www.mio-engineering.dk/index.php ... duct_id=53

cheers

Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Cost of the kit from Norway (with VAT) would be over ?1100 (+ shipping?)

The +2 conversion (with the brackets shown - used) costs circa ?200 (assuming you get the calipers professionally refurbished - & do the fitting work yourself) & I doubt that many would want to drive their Elan beyond the capability of this upgrade (road or track)

I did this to my S2 (no servo - so do need a good push) some years ago (with Carbotech pads - expensive but much better than Green Stuff) & have never experienced any fade, even pushing hard on track (ask the guys who were at Club Lotus, Castle Combe?)
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Maulden7 wrote:Cost of the kit from Norway (with VAT) would be over ?1100 (+ shipping?)

The +2 conversion (with the brackets shown - used) costs circa ?200 (assuming you get the calipers professionally refurbished - & do the fitting work yourself) & I doubt that many would want to drive their Elan beyond the capability of this upgrade (road or track)

I did this to my S2 (no servo - so do need a good push) some years ago (with Carbotech pads - expensive but much better than Green Stuff) & have never experienced any fade, even pushing hard on track (ask the guys who were at Club Lotus, Castle Combe?)

Interesting. Do carbotech do rears in the same compound?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 am

Interesting. Do carbotech do rears in the same compound?

They certainly can supply rear pads, but whether they are the same compound as the fronts (there are two front options but I use the softer of theese - the car is not heavy enough to keep the harder option fully usable imo) I don't know.

I use standard compound pads on the rear as a very large percentage of the overall brakeing contribution comes from the front - so what is on the rears doesn't seem to make much difference. But I guess this all comes down to driving styles, & everybody is different?

Carbotech are very helpful on the phone & via email, & easily contactable. I very recently dealt with "Ian" via email - [email protected]
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 pm

EBC greens are fine for a road car but not if your going to really thrash it. For a hard driven road car including road car track days use EBC yellow. They work good cold, will not fade and are rotor friendly. Not to big a fan of the Reds. Porterfield R4S works great on a track only car.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Arno, with the greatest respect,if it takes 2 hours to strip 2x uprights down,get new staff!!!,just my opinion after a few beers,
regards phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: