Adjustable rear control Arm

PostPost by: ceejay » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 am

Rear Wishbone Adjusters.
I have been watching this posting and thought some people might be interested to see these. No we don?t make them, it was quicker & cheaper to have them machined at a professional machine shop.

Specs:
Tube inserts X 4: Threaded 1/2"UNF - 2 left hand - 2 right hand.
Machine from 7/8" B/Mild round bar stock. Length: 1.25" Spigot length: 1".

Inserts are either bronze welded into the wishbone tube or TIG welded, using the plug welding method.

Threaded Adjusters X 2: Machine from 3/4" Hex B/Mild Hex Bar.
Total length: 4". L/hand - R/Hand threaded 1/5" UNF. Spigot length 1.5/8". (Radius spigot each side of hex).
Adjusters have been bright zinc plated for rust protection.... do not plate the tube inserts.
In case you are wondering: The grooves machined into the lock nuts and tube inserts denote: Left hand thread.

Visit your local machine shop to get a set of professionally machined adjusters made... most likely quicker & cheaper than having to cobble up from second hand parts, or to buy a set of LH & RH taps & dies to make your own, you also need access to a lathe which some owners have but many don't.
Oh, I nearly forgot... only two lock nuts shown here... two more are required for the R/hand side.
Col.
Attachments
elan-adjusters-001s.jpg and
Machined rear wishbone adjusters.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am

Col, would you happen to sell a kit using heim joints at either bushed ends?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Guys..
Laying my paws on the LH threaded setscrews is proving a bit difficult, :? so I have ordered LH die and taps so I can make the parts needed. Next trick is getting a decent en steel (8 would be prefered) hex. Looks like I will have to settle for EN3 & I won't use free machining BMS for these as that is too soft. I might also use round as I have lots of 25mm dia EN8 I used for Kart axles when I made them. I will have a think. If I do use the round en8, do you think flats on the 25 mm dia bar or a (say) 5 mm dia hole thro' center for adjusting?

I might make a few of these if anyone wants a pair?

John, Any spare LH nuts? Save me from buying a box of 100. & Anyone got a spare set of A frames??

Alex.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Took Gerry's advice and bought the 1/2'' UNF threaded tube inserts and half nuts (Mrs B can only get min box 100!) from Mcgill motorsports via their ebay shop. Good solution. Thanks Gerry.

I will need to turn down the inserts to suit the A frame tube I/D. (Anyone know this dia? John??) I'm going to mig weld them into the tubes.

Just the lh / rh bobbins to make then. :wink:

Alex.......... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="alexblack13"]Hi Guys..

I might make a few of these if anyone wants a pair?

Hi Alex

Yes please I'm interested in a pair if it is not to mush trouble, don?t mind paying you either.
I would go for the ? 5 mm through hole.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm

Just out of curiosity I did a Google search and came up with this possibly suitable ready made left and right hand threaded rod http://www.springfix.co.uk/purchase.php?p_no=R3660&id=120&method=w. Further searching might come up with other useful parts that could be adapted to make adjusters. Try looking up "turnbuckle".
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:45 am

Alex

Tube works out at 3/4" ID ,I have 1/2"BSF nuts,are you using 1/2" UNF? if so I'll check out my local stockist for you?

John :wink:

http://www.franciskirk.com/
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 am

Be careful with the inner and outer diameter of the wishbone tubing; my good friend has just made me a set of adjustables for my +2, he found the +2 tube was smaller diameter and thicker walled than the S4, also the S4 wishbones were brazed but the +2 were welded, cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:27 am

Thanks guys.. I am away for a while now. Shetland Island Via small ferry boat... Wish me luck

Speak soon..

AB..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi All,
I've also made mine on the lathe and fitted them to my Elan in my restoration project.
It took some time filing down the bits and sliding the machined nuts inside the tube as the inside is not perfectly round. Also I took care not to expose the adjuster too much and possibly weaken the frame.
Gino
Milano Italy
S2 '65
S3 coup? '65
S3 coup? 67
+2 '68
Attachments
HPIM0921-1.jpg and
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Alex, im interested too.can you PM or email me with the price.ill need them posted but we can sort that out after.

Many thanks,Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Just as an aside....I didn't know until today (after digging re toe-in/out) that the rear track is 1" wider than the front on a plus2......so I suppose that when I set my wheel alignment with a piece of string it means I've set it miles out!!!....I'll have to take this into account next time...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Alex, glad you got some of the parts you needed. McGill just sold me what I wanted, not the minimum of 100 so not sure what's happened there.

I've posted a photo showing the LH/RH stud I machined up from Hex. The Kelvedon motors just used bar with a flat in the middle for a spanner.

Regards
Gerry

PS, we should think about bulk buy disposals amongst ourselves. Heaps of times I have to buy a box of 50 for a particular fastener when I really only need 10 or so!
turnbuckle00001.jpg and
[attachment=0]
Last edited by gerrym on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Alex, I could have also said that RDG Tools http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/LEFT ... DIES_.html

have very reasonably priced UNF left hand threads taps.

Usually I avoid CS taps which is probably what these are. However, if they are only being used to cleaned up the threads post fabrication then they are probably fit for purpose.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Hy Guys,
Hmmm.. Die arrived to day (LH UNF) Very dodgy looking. Time will tell. The RH is from a mate and will be good stuff. My Dormers have gone walkies... :cry: I think I know where so not too bad. Having bought the parts from MacGill I can report thet they are spot on. Good dia for turning down to suit tube inner. I won't do this till I cut the pc out for the turnbuckles etc. This will allow me to cutom fit to suit my 'A' frames.

To all the guys interested in a pair I am going to start making these soon. Bear with me and I will get in touch in order of interest.

Gerry.. MacGill were fine. I bought 10 of each half nuts. Bang on! ... Its my Mrs who gets me boxes of 100 etc but always very cheap, so I usually just tell her to get them. I have loads of fastners for the Lotus. All Imperial, plated or s/s.... They are running out the door!

Speak soon

Alex. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: