Spax dampers

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:00 pm

I've dug out a picture the units fitted by Spax to my car after all the mayhem described earlier. Note that there are far fewer coils than most other springs I have seen fitted. The springs also look to be thicker gauge.. The springs also stays straight, no sideways buckling - was this a factor? They still seem to be working well after 30k odd miles since Spax fitted them, so there has been an improvement (i.e not snapped), but I cannot comment on what caused it.

The rear twin wishbone system is fitted with Protechs now - Neither Spyder or Spax would cough for a replacement on the snapped one...

Jeremy

PS ignore the red paint, that's Neil tidying up the finish. They were originally the normal bright yellow Spax colour
Attachments
Old Spax Unit.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 pm

I've just realised I still have the contact details for the Tech person I spoke to at Spax at the time. Not sure if he is still there, but if anyone wants to contact Spax direct and ask searching questions try Tony Shankshaft, Tech Advice, Spax Performance Ltd. +44 (01869) 244771.

I have to say I did get a reasonable response from Spax in connection with the snapped units, but that may be because they all snapped within the warranty period of twelve months, so I had a case. This may have been helped by living within 15 miles of the factory, so was able to go and pester them, face to face.

After looking at the pieces close up, the failure mode was the same in each case and seemed propagate from the point at which the thread at the top met the body of the rod. Perhaps not radiused enough.. or bad Karma.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Confusing, this colour business. My old-but-good front Spax are red, my new rear Konis are yellow. On other cars I've had red Koni Specials and black Koni Classics. My recent and appalling gas Spax were yellow, while Spax dampers I bought in the 1970s were light blue except for some bronze ones with adjustable platforms. Don't read too much into the colour, I suggest. But a front Spax should be obvious from its small, slotted adjustment screw at the bottom.

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 am

JJDraper wrote:I've just realised I still have the contact details for the Tech person I spoke to at Spax at the time. Not sure if he is still there, but if anyone wants to contact Spax direct and ask searching questions try Tony Shankshaft, Tech Advice, Spax Performance Ltd. +44 (01869) 244771.

I have to say I did get a reasonable response from Spax in connection with the snapped units, but that may be because they all snapped within the warranty period of twelve months, so I had a case. This may have been helped by living within 15 miles of the factory, so was able to go and pester them, face to face.

After looking at the pieces close up, the failure mode was the same in each case and seemed propagate from the point at which the thread at the top met the body of the rod. Perhaps not radiused enough.. or bad Karma.

Jeremy

Jeremy,
you mentioned "a reasonable response" by that I assume you had the dampers replaced free of charge but no explanation.
From the evidence provided so far I plumping for Hydrogen embrittlement.

John,
So it seems that Spax changed the paint colour.
Perhaps depending upon what was in stock in true Lotus fashion? :lol:
I'll give my red dampers a good looking at when the car's next off the ground.
By the way yesterday my back issue of Evo Jan 2009 arrived & I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the Lotus articles.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm

As the Spax dampers were not in stock after three months with no word on delivery, I ordered the Koni shocks and received them today. I also received a call today that the Spax units have arrived!

Considering the Spax problems reported here, I am not troubled by the added expenditure for the Koni's. The koni units for the TVR are now "special order" which means discontinued. At least that is the way the Koni distributor reads it.

I hope they work well. I also have the old set of Konis to rebuild if I need another set.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Jeremy, interesting that you say replacement springs are thicker gauge with less active coils. I'm looking for springs to go with my adjustable AVO front shocks, this was pretty much the direction I'm headed (looking for 125#/in rate springs). Could you measure the wire diameter and post the result?

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kevinrooney » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Ive just joind the club on spax failures . Teh front driver side failed in a similar catistrophic manner punching up through the inner wheelarch .while they were six years old my elan is not an everyday driver and is not used for forest rallys . The worst it has to contend with is the neighbourhood speed bumps. Id say they have about 30000 miles on them at most.
Spax did offer me a 15% discount on a new pair , but having seen this thread Ithink this is an offer Ill be decliniing .
kevinrooney
New-tral

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:53 pm

I am eager to purchase new front Spax springs and dampers from TTR but after reading these posts I've become quite leery. Are there any members using TTR front Spax dampers who can currently report problems?
Perhaps spax has improved their design since 2010.
Thanks
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: