What model, type of electric fuel pump to use and why choose
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 pm

geni wrote:to make a good choice;
What model, type of electric fuel pump to use and why choose

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/eu/facet-s ... it-243225/

I bought a pair of these about 20 years ago.

I fitted one.

The second one is still sitting in the box. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:32 am

I have them fitted to both my cars, they are excellent
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:11 am

Fit a Huco Pump, there is a low pressure model for Webers. You can buy at Eurocarb imho the best Pump.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:27 am

I had a look at the Facet pump on Demon Tweeks. They don't seem to list a safety cutoff switch, though. Odd.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:11 am

I've had one of the cylindrical Facet ones fitted next to the tank for about 30yrs and it really has been fit and forget. I don't think I've touched it in that time. It's the sort that clicks as it pumps which I know some people don't like but I've grown so used to it now I hardly notice it. As Jon mentions though there's no safety cut off so if the ignition is on its pumping That didn't seem to bother me when I was young and foolish but in these safety conscious days I've been trying to work out an easy method of stopping it when the worst happens.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 am

stuart - just got a HELLA (FIA legal) cut-off switch/emergency switch (the ones with the red "key") for 15quid incl. postage from INDIA (its an original Hella made there) sandy PS - it's located between both seats, so my elbow can switch it off
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 am

69S4 wrote:I've had one of the cylindrical Facet ones fitted next to the tank for about 30yrs and it really has been fit and forget. I don't think I've touched it in that time. It's the sort that clicks as it pumps which I know some people don't like but I've grown so used to it now I hardly notice it. As Jon mentions though there's no safety cut off so if the ignition is on its pumping That didn't seem to bother me when I was young and foolish but in these safety conscious days I've been trying to work out an easy method of stopping it when the worst happens.

There a couple of ways of doing it, a changeover oil pressure switch that disables the supply to the pump if there is no oil pressure (assumes the engine has stopped in a crash), or a 'G' force sensor that trips the supply to both the pump and ignition in a high 'G' event (a crash).
If you go with the first option, you have to have some way of overriding the switch when starting, or keep cranking until there is enough oil pressure to trip the switch to start the fuel flowing.
I have the former, and although I have an override switch, I like to get oil pressure up before starting so I usually just crank until the engine starts.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:26 am

Of course, you can always fit an inertia cutoff switch from a scrap car (or buy a second hand one from eBay).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... =nc&_dmd=2

Connect one of these in series with the pump's supply, mount it upright in the boot (reset button facing upwards, generally) and you should be sorted.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm

The oil pressure option is one I've considered in the past but two things have put it on the "hmm, this might be more complicated than it first seems" list. Firstly, as the pump and the relay powering it is in the boot it means stripping out the carpet etc to run the new wiring along the sill gap. I'm still pulling the glue out of my hair from the last time I did that.

Also, for cold starts I need the pump to fill the float bowls (Strombergs) before I have much hope of the engine firing. So the pump needs to run before the engine which means fitting an override which then needs to auto switch off or it just adds to the list of things that need to be done before the engine will start. That's already getting near WW1 biplane levels with the battery isolator to bypass, the fuel pump clicking to monitor and two separate choke cables to juggle before you even turn the key.

The inertia cut off is a much simpler thing to implement and has made it to the Simple Summer Sunday job list in the past but deciding which eBay switch to buy has stalled it. Any suggestions based on experience would be gratefully received. What make / model have others used? Something that trips out in the fast lane of the M40 isn't going to be much of a safety feature.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Just get one of the Ford ones. They are much of a muchness.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Or....

Just use an electric pump to prime.

I went fully electric with a Huco pump. I have no issues with the pump at all, but in hindsight as you do not need all the emergency cut-offs paraphernalia, an Electric pump used for priming only, is probably a simpler install and solution.

Just a thought,

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Peter +2 wrote:Or....

Just use an electric pump to prime.

I went fully electric with a Huco pump. I have no issues with the pump at all, but in hindsight as you do not need all the emergency cut-offs paraphernalia, an Electric pump used for priming only, is probably a simpler install and solution.

Just a thought,

Peter

I tried that a bit while I was waiting for some parts when I did the conversion on my car, and had the feeling that the 2 pumps in series may have been limiting the flow at high revs (electrical at the bottom of the trunk and always on via the stock nylon line). I checked the pressure at the front carb with a gauge and it did not went all the way to 0 yet did decrease a bit at high revs, and I had the feeling that the engine was not as powerful as before at high revs - though did not get to try that setup a lot.

After I got the braided line installed I removed the mechanical pump, and the feeling of the engine behavior was back to normal at high revs.

I don't know for sure the source of this behavior (I had a head gasket starting leaking at the same time, a bit of pressure getting into the coolant from copper corrosion, and fixed that too with a composite gasket), but I had read warnings against 2 random pumps in series, and since the issue disappeared when back to one pump I thought I should mention this...

Disclaimer: not dyno proven, only seat of the pants...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:13 pm

For an impact switch, I used one from a small Ford. Grabbed several from the PicaPart, with one being a bit different. It has an additional wire that is energized when the switch is operated. Could be a lamp lead for the dash. In the US, they can be found behind either of the side trim panels in the trunk/boot. On the Plus2, I also installed an electric fuel cutoff valve, also controlled by the impact/ignition switch. I wanted to be able to cut the flow of fuel off, as the Plus2 fuel feed is from the bottom of the tank.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: