Buying carbs and parts

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:34 am

Has anyone had any experience buying carbs and parts from the Czech Republic site on ebay?
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I just order some new carbs. I saw some cheaper one on ebay from a Czech Republic seller but looking at the photos it was clear that they are webber clones. No idea on the quality but that was enough to put me off.

The cheapest place I found for real webbers was Carbs Unlimited (http://www.carburetion.com/).
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Caution. Real Webber carbs are made in Spain by Webber. I have no experience with the Chinese made versions but would avoid them for a street car. Quality maybe less of a issue on a race car where operation at wide open throttle is more forgiving but for a street car, drivability is very important.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Be very, very careful with the Chinese Webers. I am always one to reserve judgement until I've seen them. There is an Australian company selling repro Webers on Ebay, presumably from the same source.
I got a really good look at a set at CLM last year, and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Part of my business involves a lot of DCOE's.

Steve
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:29 am

I bought parts from that guy on eBay. The parts I bought were jets, emulsion tubes, velocity stacks, Carb body parts, and linkage parts, and they all worked fine. I did have an issue with too much chroming on a few of the velocity stacks (I bought 6) which made fitting into the bodies impossible, but have to say, customer service was an A+. He responded right away with a replacement set. Shipment was quick as well.

All these parts made around the world under the Weber name are licensed by Weber, including the ones made in China. I recall when Weber first started to make their 151 DCOE in Spain and the cast bodies were so poor compared to the Italian counterparts, the carbs leaked gas right through the body due to pourosity. Needless to say, whenever production of anything is moved to another country, expect some initial hickups. But I would still only buy the official Weber branded items and not the generic or private label brands.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: