Electric Fuel Pump Installations

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:31 am

I'm about to install an electric fuel pump in the boot along with a fuel filter. Does anyone have pictures of their electric pump installations? If so, please post the pics. I'm looking for ideas on where to locate my components.. I can't use a manual pump as my engine's jack shaft has been machined down to only drive the distributor. I plan on using a Carter pump P4070 which is suppose to put out 4 - 6 pounds of pressure which I've been told is compatible with Weber Carbs. I'll also be using a fuel pressure regulator, a fuel gauge, and a fuel filter with stainless steel braided teflon fuel hose and AN fittings.

Thank you, Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:21 am

Frank, this is the install that is currently in my car (and the same as what I am sending you when I pull it out later this winter). Although it's a race fuel cell, you can see the mounting of the rather large fuel filter and the electric fuel pump. If you look closely you can also see the pressure regulator.
L1140205.jpg and

L1140206.jpg and

L1140207.jpg and
Last edited by Certified Lotus on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:08 pm

I don't suppose there is a right way or wrong way. I have used a Webcon pump which is specifically for use with Weber carbs. It is meant to be at or near the bottom of the tank, so I found it fit nicely in the space in front of the spare wheel platform, as you can see in my photo. The spare wheel still fits without interfering with the pump.

The blue unit is a cut-off valve which needs power to be open (although it has a manual lever as well), and the black relay is from a VW car. It has a wire from the coil to it and only operates the pump if there are ignition pulses, so if the engine stops, the pump also stops. The red push button allows me to manually over-ride that relay for priming of the carbs if the float chambers are empty.

Mike
Attachments
Fuel Pump.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:37 pm

How about an inertia switch to shut off the pump when you guys hit a tree! :D

Knew a guy that was cremated in an early MGB. :shock:

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Hopefully a front collision will stop the engine, and on my car that would stop the pump. I have an inertia switch on my MGB V8.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Frank,
My Facet pump is located similar to Glens, just a little more around to the right You may want to use some rubber isolators between the pump and the body. The shell acts like a sounding board without them. The isolators reduce the sound significantly.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:19 pm

The Facet cubes are notoriously noisy. There are quieter and just as reliable pump's out there. Facet offers a pump that used to be made by Bendix that is a cylinder with a dome on the top and a removable filter on the bottom....can't remember what they call it. Anyway, I had the Bendix that they apparently acquired on an MGB that is still on the road and owned by a friend. That pump has been in operation since the mid 1960's and over 120K miles and is still going strong. Not noisy either.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Frank,

Here are two photos of my Carter installation. I've since added a regulator (inexpensive dial type) in the hose between the pump and the connector to the line that runs to the front. The electrical connections to the Carter are a bit strange - they don't seem very secure, but they haven't come loose. The pump is definitely noisy. I think the bracket is mounted solid to the fiberglass, with no rubber isolation. I can just fit the spare tire in the remaining space, and I use a small wooden block to keep the tire from banging into pump and regulator. (I lost fuel pressure once because the tire "adjusted" the regulator to 0 psi!)

I also replaced the plastic line through the chassis with a steel brake line.

Hopefully this thread will convince me to fit an inertia switch. It's always been one of those "I'll get around to it" items.
Attachments
IMG_1201 (800x600).jpg and
IMG_1202 (800x600).jpg and
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Mine is the round type and was still noisy in my opinion without the isolators. Now I can only barely hear it over my ever present deteriorating hearing, before moving the ignition switch from the run to the start position. With the engine running, it cannot be heard or felt. I do carry a small cube type as an emergency spare, equipped with the needed hose barbs and electrical connectors, for a quick repair if needed. Just an unplug/plug quick fix. Just use a tyrap to fasten it to the existing pump.

"Roun2its" are the most elusive tasks/objects in the restoration process.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 am

I've fitted 2 "Airtex" recently just because they were cheap. [notorious cheapskate here!]
They seem to be good pumps so far and are not noisy either.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 am

prezoom wrote:
"Roun2its" are the most elusive tasks/objects in the restoration process.

There are plenty of Round Tuits on the Internet, pick one, print it out and Bobs your uncle.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=round ... 64&bih=696

I'm going to print myself one in the near future, as soon as I get around to it.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:47 pm

There have been several threads on this in the last couple of years, shame on you Frank for not searching them like I did with "Fitting an electric fuel pump".

Here's one of them which includes a couple of pictures, on page 2, of my installation (of Facet) and Alex Black posted a number of pictures in a similar thread.

lotus-carbs-f40/vapor-lock-think-t29160-15.html

I have, since, moved the regulator into the engine bay and after the mechanical pump. The electric pump cured all the vaporisation problems that I had been suffering from since the advent of alcohol in the fuel (which isn't relevant to Frank's requirement). Mounted on rubber I can't hear the pump while running the engine unless it is fighting vaporisation.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:57 pm

My installation is the same, schematically, as Mike's (TroonSprint) except I don't have the the cut-off. In summary, fuel tank > filter > pump > regulator > carburettor inlet.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: