What K&N cone filters for S4 on Strombergs

PostPost by: urr333 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Can anyone tell me which of the K&N cone filters would be appropriate for an S4 with non-emission strombergs using the original trunking and airbox.

Thanks
Ted
urr333
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:56 am

Ted
There is no K&N filter which is a direct swop . What ever you do will involve some fabrication of mounting brackets and you will need some adaptor piece to connect the filter to the ducting.
Some guys I believe found a filter that clamps over the ducting, but you will still need to attach the filter to the body work somehow. Some have just laid the filter in the front nose cone but as it rolls around you are likely to damage an expensive filter as well as clog the filter up from the muck and water that normally congregates in the nose cone. Which ever filter you use you need to make sure it can flow enough air (most of them should).
I actually use filters with bigger inlet diameter (There is only a small choice of K&N filters same bore as the ducting) and machine an adaptor piece to reduce it down to mate up to the ducting. This gives me a better choice of filters which I find not only fit better but also look much better.
K&N filters are worth fitting, I can only comment on my experiences and feedback from others that have fitted them, but we all noticed the engine revs a bit cleaner and the car runs a bit better (not massive difference but noticable). This points to the original air cannister and filter being too restrictive.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 am

Ted,
What Clive is not telling you (I think blatant advertising is frowned upon here) is that he sells this stuff, which is all excellent quality- just follow his link.
When I get around to starting on my second Elan I'll be knocking on his door again for some of his wares. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:23 pm

We use K&N # RE 0810 here in the States and that's what I have on my S2. The note about a fabricated bracket is correct and you can use the metal binding rib on the element for attachment.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Last falls trip to Gettysburg I met Ray (R D Ent) for the first time, He hand carried a complete Twin Cam tuneup kit to me and placed it in my left hand as we shock hands for the first time.This was for my broken down old S2 Elan that died 90 miles from home.
the story is here
free-parking-f19/the-road-log-how-managed-arrive-t21402.html

I thought I ought to give a bit more so in April I ordered the k & n air filter from Ray to replace the 12 year old crumbling foam individual units on the Webers. I needed to fix the early air box cover that I got at Log30, so a bit of sun to warm it, a nice hot batch of resin and hardener on fiberglass mat, then the gentle caress of the heat gut to say "are you done yet". I sanded the filter cover the next day and painted the backplate. On a warm afternoon (high 40's F) got it installed it a few days later. Put the air trunk hose on and said oh oh, maybe the original Radiator has to go back in? Its a street car and a little heat wont hurt the charge temp any more than the individual filters so there it is just laying in place. Some time I may get motivated to go and put it back to stock but I think its better to Just Dive.

p-a

Sunday 10 July 2011 10:11
I looked at the box Ray sent, its the same part number that Jeff posted above RE 0810
Attachments
green s2 bay1.JPG and
green s2 bay.JPG and
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 pm

I use a K@N model RU-2790, along with a short length of 3" PVC pipe as a flange for filter and trunking, and L shaped bracket for mounting.
Attachments
DSC02486.JPG and
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:55 am

And here's a picture of my K&N filter
It's a 4" filter with chrome end cap.
The mounting bracket as mentioned previously adapts it down to the air ducting size.

Clive
Attachments
photos up to 5 august 2007 024.jpg and
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: