POR-15 gas tank sealer

PostPost by: frearther » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Does anyone else have experience with POR-15 gas tank sealer? I did mine a couple of years ago but didn't get to run the car more than a couple of miles before an engine rebuild.

Last night I came home at the end of a pretty yellow strap - not fun. It looks as though there's previous little gas flow through the line from the tank. New Facet pump.

Some friends with classic cars have told me that there have been problems with the POR-15 sealer and modern gasoline formulations. Apparently the stuff degrades and clogs up the system, especially filters.

There's nothing in the tank except what's supposed to be there - no rags, tools, etc.

Has anyone encountered troubles with this product?
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Art, I used the POR15 sealer in my tank probably 6 years ago. I've not had any problems and have put on several thousand miles since.

It is critical to follow their prep process or else that stuff won't stick.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi Art

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I put POR15 in the gas tank of our 57 Morris pickup two years ago and have had no issues since. It is running with an SU electric pump.

On the Faucet pump, I have one on an Elan which we autocross and at one event this year on the last run the motor was running out of fuel. Pump was pounding away but had a different sound as it was not pulling any fuel from the fuel cell. It had a screw in filter to the input side of the pump and I bypassed that but still no go. I then unhooked the supply hose and blow back into the cell. Seemed fine and I lowered the line down below cell level and gas was flowing fine. I reconnected everything and turn on the pump and it had the normal sound with fuel going thru. It has been fine since.

Only thing I can figure is it had an air lock of some kind and unhooking everything let it pass. I even made sure the vent on the cell was working. I am running a regulator at the webers and have it set at 1.5 lbs.

Don't know that this will help but might have a look.

Good luck
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Greg,
My greatest fear was doing it wrong, so I made sure I followed the directions - even let it cure much longer than they suggested. I'm glad to hear that it has been working well for you.

Mark,
The air lock idea hadn't occurred to me. I guess I'll just go ahead with my original plan to start at the tank and drain and blow out everything. Perhaps I'll add a fuel pressure gauge to my regulator. think I'll also bypass the filter and see if that helps. I'll also put the manual vacuum pump on the line out of the tank to be sure there's nothing clogging the line down there where I can't see.

Both,
thanks for the help. I'll post results here (but it could be a week or two).
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Art, my big fear was getting too much sealer in the outlet pipe. I think what I did was to ream it out a bit with some slim flexible wire while the sealer was still wet.

Keep us posted.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 pm

I took my tank to a radiator shop where they cleaned and epoxy coated it with a lifetime warranty.
The shop assured me the coating was standard treatment and able to withstand modern fuels.
Six years later, no issues.
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 pm

I have been having the same issues with my fuel tank and facet pump. I had a radiator shop clean out the old gas gunk left from 20 years of sitting idle. They coated the inside of the tank...I am not sure what product. I reinstalled all the fuel lines, facet fuel pump, inline filter and gas tank, filler hose, neck. I slathered a little silicone sealant around the OUTSIDE of the gas tank neck and installed the filler hose(just in case any gas vapor odor might escape). The facet fuel pump was placed in the original location. Car started and ran fine for a few months of short jaunts then cut out on the way up a long hill. I let it sit and listened to the fuel pump noise where it sounded like it had built up pressure again. I tried starting the car and it fired up just fine. So back to the house and check it out. Could find nothing. This happened a few times. I had another facet pump and installed it in the same place....Still happened....When I pulled the new pump off , I read the directions with the pump( when all else fails...) It stated the fuel pump cannot be over 12 or 14 inches above the bottom of the fuel tank.... So relocated the fuel pump into the lower left hand corner of the spare tire storage. I checked my fuel filter at the same time as there was no fuel coming through the line. There were 1" to 2" long clear strands of a silicone like material which were lodged in the filter. The gas line back to the tank was not running any fuel either. I used a mighty vac and drew a vacuum on the line to suck out more of the jelly like strands. I am not sure whether it was residue of silicone from around the filler neck or the gas tank sealer. One of the problems was I had run the car almost to empty and I guess it picked up whatever was in the gas.
Since moving the pump to the lower point in the boot, I have had no fuel starvation problems. I will probably install a large clear plastic filter to detect any more crud from the tank. The car has been running great for about 2 months now. It was very frustrating though.
Greg
'67 s3 SS
'72 +2 S130
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Greg F,

You might have it with the height of the pump as mine is mounted above tank level, which would explain the air lock in line and when I took line off and let it flow to pump to fill. It runs perfectly but I will relocate the pump lower this winter before next season. Goes to show guys don't read anything first!

Thanks
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Interesting - I have just received this POR kit to line my tank - the car has been unused for the past 27 years so keen to make sure no unseen rust issues.

I will follow the instructions to the letter and presume no more is necessary but any tips from those that have would be welcome...
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:28 am

I hope to get to the bottom of my gas tank problem this week. I'll post results.

Art
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: