foam or paper?

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 am

I am thinking of fitting a foam type cone shaped air filter in place of my standard lotus paper fitment..im a little worried though as to wether foam type filters allow more grit etc through to the carbs thus causing wear? How many people use foam types and with what results? Also if i mount the foam filter in the position of the standard filter it will be in a position to collect lots of dirt and water ..would it be better mounted out of the direct flow of air from the front grill?

Cheers,

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 am

Some say the oiled foam filters are better some say worse than standard replaceable paper element filters. Personally I have never seen any menaingful test to know which is best. However no signficant hp loss from original filter from my dyno tests on a 150hp engine so I see no reason to change from it if retaining the standard air box which does cause a hp loss due to restricting flow to No4 cylinder

Just my opinion, I know others who swear the replacement open conical style filter is better

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm

My car had ITG filters when I bought it, and although they did seem to work OK, I thought they were the source of obtrusive engine noise that I did not remember from a previous Elan.

I am in the process of completing a fuel injection conversion for which part of the plan was to return to the original type air box.

I bought a grotty looking air box and backplate from eBay at a good price. I worked on the backplate to braze-up some unwanted holes and remove the cable bracket and with black powder coating it looks right.

Keeping in mind what has always been said about air starvation to #4 pot (confirmed by Rohan), I set about cutting-up and reconstructing the box to get it as parallel as I could in the belief that it would help the #4 pot situation. See picture?.

Rohan,

Do you think this will be successful?

I have not bought a filter yet, but it will probably be one of those nice looking cone shaped jobs.
Attachments
Air-Box.JPG and
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:43 pm

A few years ago, a few of these deepened airboxes went off on Ebay. Does anybody remember this, and who the vendor was?

For LHD cars, this seems like a reasonable business opportunity.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I have strombergs and an engine that tends to run hot. A few years ago, I removed the original air filter to improve airflow and put a K&N conical filter on the end of the original airbox. It seemed to work well. Then I saw Steve WW's pipercross foam cover that allowed for the addition of velocity stacks. That's what I am still using. I've blocked off all around the radiator to force air through it, which means the strombergs are not getting fresh air, but I haven't had any complaints. I think the additional airflow is worth the potentially higher temp intake air. Dan S4
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 pm

msd1107 wrote:A few years ago, a few of these deepened airboxes went off on Ebay. Does anybody remember this, and who the vendor was?

I bought one of those ones off ebay. It's for the square Weber backplate. It didn't fit - the neck is too long and it fouled the bodywork at the front. It could easily be trimmed to fit, but it's still on the shelf. In the meantime I've been thinking instead to go back to one of the earlier round-type boxes for originality rather than go for the odd extra 1 or 2 hp. I've looked back through my emails and can't find any information on the vendor.

If anyone makes me a sensible offer they can have it.

Related to this, what are people's opinions on fitting a slightly shorter rampipe to #4? (Not original, I know, but less visible :) )

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:43 pm

For the airbox, the Ebay seller ID was davenmandy0. His email address back then (Feb 2007) was [email protected] and his address was dave milner goole, Humberside DN149BN United Kingdom.

Just in case.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm

welll because there is snow and its too cold for the garage the last 2 days ------the BEST air filter material is pantie hose ----the F1 boys used it to protect the slides from dirt and debris on the start a few years ago ---and when racer taped over an opening it filters down to mini microns of material out of the air ----and a plausible reason to convince a Young lady to remove hers on a dark road -- :lol: --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Don Tingle had some deep square carb boxes made up. It fits my RHD S1. They were intentionally made a little over-deep but it was an easy trim with a belt sander.

Eric
64 S1 Hart
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 pm

ecamiel wrote:Don Tingle had some deep square carb boxes made up. It fits my RHD S1. They were intentionally made a little over-deep but it was an easy trim with a belt sander.

I have the Tingle made version on mine. At the time of purchase (about 3 or 4 years ago), he didn't have any on hand, had to get one made up for me.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: