Fuel leak

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:22 am

I am experiencing a fuel leak on the filler tube on my +2. This is mainly where it joins the metal pipe on the tank. Obviously when the tank is full the tube is full of fuel. I have tried new jubilee clips and sealing with red hermetite ( the smell reminds me of my early British motorbike days!) but the leak persists. Is there a better sealing compound available in the UK? I noticed mention of sealall on another thread, is that available here?
Its a real pain having to drive around with only a couple of gallons in the tank.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:39 am

Chris,

Just had the same problem. The rubber elbow on mine was iron hard. Assuming that it's just a question of getting a seal between the tank and the rubber elbow, the simplest solution is to get a new one and fit that. (got mine from Paul Matty). With hindsight, I'd do the same again - no question.

Another problem mine had was that the inside of the elbow was disintegrating and flaking off in tiny pieces. This was clogging up the tank outlet and causing fuel feed problems.

Drop me an e-mail or give me a buzz on 07919 101495 if you want to discuss this further.

Regards,

Hamish.
:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: