Fuel Hose Breathers in Boot

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 am

In the process of replacing breather hoses in the boot of the Plus 2 (along with modifications to reroute large breathers from their original exits in front of rear wheels).

Tried a good quality Aeroquip Hose with an AQP liner. Within 24 hours, noticeable smell from permeation of aromatics through the hose.

Does anyone have a recommendation on hose type and supplier that is guaranteed not to have this permeation and hence smell problem. For example are any of the teflon lined hoses suitable in terms of prevention of permeation and termination connections.Note that the tank connections are 1/2" ID so this is going to dictate hose choice to some extent. The 2.25 ID filler hose will also need to be made from a permeation resistant material if the goal of a smell free interior is to be realised.

By comparison, modern cars have the fuel tank and plumbing mounted exterior to the car: by design this would avoid the problem.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:37 pm

The original fuel vent configuration is to prevent fuel leakage in the event of a roll over or car on side. The "criss cross" design allows the "low" tank vent to be vented "high" above the fuel level. I would not alter that unless breather vent valves that will close off fuel flow in the event of a change in the cars attitude.

I had a custom alloy tank made which uses mocal breather vents. I have not installed or tested yet.

It is most likely the fuel odor is not from the permiability of the hose but rather that the vents are always open to the atmosphere and the opposing vents allow great cross flow of air. I liken to a siphon.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Regarding hose permeability, I went to the troble of making up a "test loop" of hoe connected to a small tank: this was left overnight in my wife's car boot (trunk). her car is a diesel! In the morning the boot stank of petrol and all along the hose there was the distinctive reek of fuel!
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: