Mounting Dellortos

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Just refitting my dellortos, and am using the rubber washer type things (I'd heard the modern Thackeray washers are rubbish)..
Anyhow what clearance do I need between the two brass cup washers that sandwich the rubber washer? I have the figures for the Thackerays .
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:39 am

I use these on my car. I do not adjust by gap but by feel. They should be tight enough not to leek but loose enough to provide some flex of the carbs. Grab hold of the carbs and shake (the carbs not you) there should be movement of the carbs.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:48 pm

Guys,

I have used thackrays for a while (yes modern ones are crap and break frequently). What's this about rubber washers & brass cup washers? I'm not familiar with these. an you give me some info please?

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:36 pm

Hamish, the 'rubber washer' type are commonly referred to as Cosworth mounts - available from the likes of Burtons in Romford ? The rubber bit acts like a spring in compression, held within 2 cap type washers. Seem to be better than thacks and no feeler gauges needed ! Rgds jc
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:17 pm

Have managed to find a value in the Dellorto tuning (1.5 mm).
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:39 pm

Thanks guys. A solution to breaking thacks seems to be at hand. It's a hell of a fiddle to fit the lower thackray washers then try and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

Hamish.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:51 am

The Dave Bean manual recommends using the rubber style washers on the top and thackeries on the bottom. I have done this for many years without problems.

DB's theory is that its the top thackeries that fail due to weight of carbs on them so replace them with rubber. Rubber on the bottom quickly deteriorates due to fuel in that area so use thackeries there.

The altenative is do all of Keiths mods to stop the fuel leakage around the carbs and then use rubber all around.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:37 pm

QED also stock the rubber alternatives..
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: