Look what I found

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:26 pm

JonB wrote:
Craven wrote:Those with a loss of oil pressure complex, have you seen this type of thing, seems a very simple solution.
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/canton- ... er-500619/

Seems a very expensive solution.. but for racing, fine.

A standard Elan (don't know about +2's) when cornering even moderately hard will lose oil pressure. I have had the sumps on two of my Elan's baffled by NS Engineering, it's a lot cheaper than an engine build.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Chris,

I finally enlarged your photos so I could confirm that you have a toothed belt (timing belt) external drive to your water pump/ charging device. Did you do that or previous owner?

Any way, is that a crack in the windage tray, shows at about the 8 o'clock position of the swivel pick-up. Back in the mid-80s, I built a couple of windage trays for the S3-SS I was restoring from ground up and the +2S that I had just put back together. I pretty much quit driving the +2 in 1986/7 and in 1999 I took that engine apart and the tray had massive cracks , pretty much lieing in the bottom of the pan. I took the SS bottom end apart in 2010 and it was the same.

So, I did a new windage tray and modified the oil pick-up too. I decided the pick-up was too high off the floor of the sump so I added a cone pick-up that was provided by an old rope seal set-up. Then the car went to Florida where all the roads are straight, so I really don't know whether my modification worked. I've got photos on my old computer, that I should be able to see in another week or so.
Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear