Engine rebuild complete

PostPost by: innesw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi,

The guys at AGRA engineering finished the rebuild of my Big Valve Twincam yesterday and finally got to hear it run for the first time! They ran it in under load to bed in the piston rings and bores, then they dynamo tested it for the power and torque. The componemts are mostly standard apart from the cams were tweaked slightly and high compression pistons put it and a couple other uprated componets but not too much modification or upgrades as it's going to be a nice driver not something that really has to get thrashed to get the full potential from it.

All the guys at Agra are were really great and a good laugh to with chat for hours, couldn't recommend anybody else as I've only used them but the service was of the highest standard, especially with the shear numbers of racing twincam engines they build and recondition.

On the dyno we got a max power of 135BHP under load at the flywheel at roughly just over 6000rpm (think it was around 6050) Can't remember the torque values currently but I'll post them when I collect the engine and the output read-outs tomorrow.

Here's a video of one of the power runs while they were testing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSSYcVTUrT8

Also here's a picture of it on the brake.
IMG_1591.jpg and

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Innes, I'm up close to you (Aberdeen). I went all the way down to QED some years ago. At that time I wasn't on this forum and didn't know about Agra. Live and learn. I sure got the runaround. At that stage, QED's had suffered dyno failure and were clearly giving up on the engine rebuild business.

Regards
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 am

Brilliant. Love the vapour trails coming out of the inlet trumpets on full power. I would imagine that it could be a tad stressful to see your pride and joy revved like that straight after rebuild. I wish I'd been there when mine was tested.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks for the Clip, very enjoyable :)
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am

There's no sound quite like a TC on full chat :mrgreen:

That looks like a healthy figure for a fairly std engine, should be nice.

Jono
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

Thank you from me too!

I've been without my +2 since July (it's being painted.....very slowly....).

I went into the garage last week and started the car for the first time since July. Had to be turned over a litlle more that usual....but when it started.....as lovely as it was in July.
And more 'performance car' than the terrible 'boy race car' sound that my mind had been starting to remember it as :lol:

Watching your dyno test is making me even more anxious to get it back on the road!!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JR44 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Innes

i too have just had my engine rebuilt from Agra though it currently sitting in a crate waiting to be fitted to my plus 2 , currently i`ve just lifted the body of the chassis and just about to swap chassis old for new so can`t wait to get it up and running, mine souds like the same spec as yours unfortunatley i still hav`nt heard mine running as i was on holiday when it was on the dyno so the last time i heard the engine running was 1984..

John (Aberdeen)
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Corryvechter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Likewise, I just got my engine back from a full rebuild by them today!! I was not able to see it on the dyno, but the figures show 135bhp at 6k, so pretty much the same as yourself!

Now I just cant wait to get it back in the car!

Paul
Paul G

Lotus Evora
Lotus Elise S2 111S
Lotus Elan +2S 1969
Land Rover Series 2 1965
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Corryvechter
New-tral

PostPost by: innesw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Ahh so that was your twincam that was keeping mine company Paul :D was looking good when I picked mine up last friday, what's it out of Elan or Plus 2?

I wonder how many scottish owners are on the forum (Elan and Plus 2) but I guess that's another topic for disscusion :wink:

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Corryvechter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Innes,

My engine is out of a plus 2S (1969). It was running when it went in, but, on stripping it they found damage to the bores etc, so had to get rebored and new pistons etc, so is basically a new engine! At the same time I got it lightened and balanced, and the the was upgraded to big valve spec.

My credit card has just melted.....................................................
Paul G

Lotus Evora
Lotus Elise S2 111S
Lotus Elan +2S 1969
Land Rover Series 2 1965
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Corryvechter
New-tral

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of the costs involved with an Agra rebuild?
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Depends on the state of your engine really, best to get a quote from Agra which they will happily do, although they said to me most full rebuilds aren't under ?3000 but I'm not speaking on behalf of Agra so could be cheeper if the engine is currently in good shape but then you wouldn't be looking at an engine rebuild I guess.

Agra's main business is in racing Twincams so theres no doubt they know what their doing! :wink:
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JR44 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 am

This is what Agra done to my engine that hadn`t been run for 26years

so this is what they did

Strip and Assess Engine, Chemical Dip and Clean all Parts,

Polish Crankshaft,

Fit and Hone S/E Bushes

Face Flywheel, fit Ring Gear,

Full Engine Balance,

Rebore Block to Suit New Pistons,

Surface Block,

Fit Valve Guides and Mira valve Seats,

Surface Cylinder Head,

Clean all Parts and Assemble and Reshim Head,

Strip Water Pump, Fit New Kit and Assemble,

Repaint Engine Block ( Gray )

Rebuild Engine,

Strip Carbs,Clean and Fit New Seal Kits

Fit to Dyno and Run in and Test
Attachments
Photo0148.jpg and
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Innes,

I enjoyed the video on YouTube, I'm really pleased for you that using Agra was such a good experience. Most people know me as that bloke who likes to butcher +2's and Elans and fit all sorts of horrible modern stuff like Zetec's and Duratecs, but the thing I like best about my +2 zetec is that it sounds like a Lotus Twincam and that the settings I have on my Emerald 3D make it pop and crackle on the ovverun just like it was running on Webers. I actually like the old stuff and the trip next week to Malvern will be a real treat to see original Elans and +2's; my +2 zetec will be in the car park and no doubt lots of people will come and look and talk, some will shake their heads but most will realise I am an enthusiast that maybe has been touched by the dark side :wink:

Let us all see the progress when you start fitting and fettling, you might inspire me to build an original once I have this modifying and updating thing out of my system.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Alan I'm not a purist, that would be my dad (with him it's concors or nothing :mrgreen: ) but also I'm not quite as adventurous as you. There's something about the Twincam I like though, maybe it's just because mine hadn't turned over in 28 years so I wanted to bring it back to life and know if it sounded any different than other ones :D but up untill this rebuild I'd never heard a twink in the flesh let alone on a power run, was very exciting.

Your plans spark a good debate on here, often resulting in some good reading! As my +2 is my first restoration, my first lotus and my first car I thought it would be best to keep things standard and save being adventurous and creative for maybe my next elan :lol:

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: