Radio's

PostPost by: ssloan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:59 pm

I have a 1969 +2 and would like to fit a modern stereo.
The problem that i have is that many modern units are too deep, clashing with the heater unit, and hence protruding by about an inch out of the dash.

I am sure that i have read somewhere that the unit from a Land Rover Discovery is shorter and would fit, but can anyone confirm this.
What other alternatives have people employed to get around this problem.
ssloan
New-tral

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:17 pm

I have the phillips 552...from a renault van...although they were in the original mk 2 cavalier...around the mid 80's.....other than that I'm afraid that I havent found one for ages or anything similar.......there is talk of a head unit and the rest of the gubbins somwhere else in the car.......you could always try and find a turnolok....the original philips item that was in them but have a feeling that they are even rarer........I'll keep an eye out for something shorter although that extends the list to about half a dozen required.....
cheers
Gareth
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:26 pm

If you're in the US there's a product called secret audio that you can find on a net search. There is also a panasonic CD player without a "head" unit only a control box (but no radio). The classic radio people have unit's that will fit - occasionally but they would need conversion to fm unles you want lousy quality. One +2 guy carefully modified the heater housing to make space.

So all in all no easy answers.

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:16 am

I installed mine under the dash on the passenger side. Get one with a remote and you can put if far enough back so that it does not get hit when entering and leaving the car. I am going to blank off the original aperature with a piece of varinshed wood or something. I might put in an original Pye radio if I can find one cheap.

Only problem I have now is that the back shelp rattles when I turn it up. Probably have to add some material underneath it to make sure it is firmly secured in place.

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:33 pm

Radio? What do you want a radio for? Just listen to the music of the four pot screamer in front of you :P
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:01 pm

Another option is to fit it in the glovebox itself. If you are fitting a modern system you will need to cut a suitable hole at the back of the glovebox for it to fit so I suggest you buy a replacement glovebox and use this instead of the original (this is a fibreboard box that screws on behind the dash and you can still get them for the +2).

Before fitting the new glovebox behind the dashboard you can cut the necessary hole and make the system fit in tidily. In a +2 it is just possible to swap the gloveboxes over without completely removing the dash (although you will need to loosen the dashboard securing bolts and remove the under dash trim). You'll still need to blank off the original radio aperture in the dashboard though.

Elans are narrow enough to be able to reach the system from the driver's seat without too much trouble and if you get a self seeking radio you won't need to keep leaning over to retune. The glovebox door then hides the system and helps deter thieves.

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:16 pm

There are minidsic players that are on the market that are as deep as the original item fitted to the plus2, but they are about 250 Euro,

I ended up getting my original AM radio rebuilt with FM tuner for about 180 Euro, then I got a 'Jensen' amp and fitted it in the boot next to a sony 10 cd changer. The sony runs back to the radio via the aerial, so to get the cds playing you just tune the radio to the appropriate station. Then I got a mono to stereo converter from my local car hi fi dude for about 80cents, basically it adds a balance to the mono output from the radio, then ran the new output through the amp in the boot to 4 speakers, two on the rear shelf and two under the dash. So my setup looks 'stock' from any casual viewer. I would hate for some heathen to wreck my dash trying to nick the minidisk player !

Now I can actually hear my musc while I am on the motorway !
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: BenMcCarthy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:18 am

I've put in a standard size modern CD/MP3 stereo. I used the mounting provided and attached it with glued blocks (behind the walnut fascia and aluminum aero-strapping) I had to saw off the screw shanks. It projects by about 45mm which is less than the lip of the vinyl fascia panel immediately above it. It doesn't obscure my view of the heater controls. I'm just going to wrap it in black vinyl to match. I can always stick an old stereo back in if I fancy it
BenMcCarthy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:42 pm

There's adaptors made specifically for this purpose. I got mine from Crutchfield. I did a little modification to a standard adaptor they sell. I trimmed it down on the edges, removed a couple of plastic tabs and drilled the corners to use four allen head screws to attach it to the dash. The whole thing sticks out about 1-1/4" from the dash, but I like the looks of it. Makes a good, solid installation.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:24 pm

Please.. Why on earth install a modern stereo in a vintage car? Isn't that just as stupid as trying to dry your jeans in the microwave?
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:34 pm

A modern stereo might make sense to listen to at traffic lights, I but I wouldn't spend the money to get a first rate unit. I can't hear mine at all when accelerating. Extending the tailpipe allows me to hear it on the highway, if I'm not going uphill. Most of the noise comes from the carb intakes - open velocity stacks for autocross.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:49 am

:angry: geez yes it melts the zipper and makes a lot of sparks in the microwave-----it seemed like a good idea at the time though -- and stupid is a bit strong ---- [ my music comes from the exhaust ] --ed law
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: