worn wheelbox

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi

Anyone know the Lucas part No for a S130 wiper wheelbox or equivalent replacement part
Does the dash have to come out to replace them or is there a dodge

help would be much appreciated
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

I have a few pages of a Lucas parts book w/ me here in Florida. There is a listing for+2 and +2s, 1968-1973 S and the wheelbox listed is 72841. There is also a bush kit listed 60600429. Hope this helps.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

If you open the wheelbox you can reposition on an unworn part.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 10kph » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

Hi John,
I have recently removed the complete wiper assembly from a 73 plus 2 130, similar spec to yours.
The original wheelboxes were marked 72761D and my new replacements are 72879A. They both look and measure the same and from previous experience with Lucas part numbers it seems as though they used upgaded numbers every week for the same item.
What you need is a stem of 64mm in length from box face to outer edge of knurled section and a toothed wheel inside box of 35mm dia . My new ones came with the car but are probably MGB and Healey 3000 origin.
As for removal I have the dash and heater box out so that was easy, but let me say that the wiper assembly is the first item to be fitted ! Looking at my second plus2 which is complete then I would say that the left box would come out if the glovebox was removed. First undo the wiper motor and pull the spring wire completely out from the tube then if your wheelbox is only worn in one section then turn your wiper knurled ends 180 deg and push your wire back in to the tube after insection and grease and job done.But, quite likely you will have to pull the spring wire go under the dash end, release two nuts on the back of the wheelbox ,the tube separates and the left box can then be replaced, The right box with about 12inch of tube might pull over the heater or push the other way. I assume it is a RH drive car but you can still do it from the other side.
Good luck
Tony
10kph
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 am

Hi, Roger Alan Tony
Thanks for the response that gives me a good strategy for some maintenance.
I will try the re position first to see how worn they are
Last time I had the gear cable out and greased was in1986
If the boxes have to come out then I will report the procedure for the forum

Thanks again
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am

Just a thought, is it possible to disconnect the cable at the wiper motor and then rotate it several turns until the wiper arm has turned approx 180 degrees and then reconnect the cable to the motor. This should have you operating on the section of the spindle gear that has not been used previously so should be in excellent condition. The gear cable itself is made of a much harder material than the spindle gears so is unlikely to be worn much.
Not tried it as I?ve had my car completely in bits and fitted a complete new system of motor cable and wheel boxes while the dash was out. Reason I suggest this rather than pulling the cable right out and turning the spindles by hand is it can be tricky getting the cable back in again.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 am

Or undo the 2 screws to open the wheel box. Reposition wheel in wheel box. Assemble the 2 halves. The wheel box has captive nuts so not a difficult job
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am

I think Alans suggestion is rather challenging with the dashboard in place, although simple enough if the dashboard is out.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 am

I think you could just ease the Dashboard back and slide a hand in at the top.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Just a thought, is it possible to disconnect the cable at the wiper motor and then rotate it several turns until the wiper arm has turned approx 180 degrees and then reconnect the cable to the motor. This should have you operating on the section of the spindle gear that has not been used previously so should be in excellent condition. The gear cable itself is made of a much harder material than the spindle gears so is unlikely to be worn much.
Not tried it as I?ve had my car completely in bits and fitted a complete new system of motor cable and wheel boxes while the dash was out. Reason I suggest this rather than pulling the cable right out and turning the spindles by hand is it can be tricky getting the cable back in again.

Brilliant! taking the cable loose from the drive is a simple job.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:24 am

All
Thanks for your replies l have sorted the problem
Removed the rack turned the wheel boxes 180 degrees.
Greased and refitted the rack pivot head 180 degrees ie flipped it over.
All sloppy play gone wipers working fine

Again thanks all
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: