PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 pm

20180508_181211.jpg and
Water temp sender
20180508_181211.jpg and
Water temp sender
20180508_181047.jpg and
Block rhs

Ok so i took a photo of mine.
On rhs under no1 cyl and behind the alt i have an oil take off. Behind that by about 12inchs, thats what i tell her anyway, is a blanked plug.its.about 3 inchs to the rear of it.

Also i include my temp sender and its in same position as yours just on a take off. I assume for coolant to the heater matrix.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Some more pics.
Looking from rear forward, i have no more on lhs but there is a space rear center of coolant rail, should you have space i guess.
There is Also a fitment rhs off head. A knock senser i assume.

Having had a look around it as its on the floor, the only other senser i see is for the flywheel pick up point.

Im guessing you may have incorrectly wired up bit n bobs and that ill admit is a step into the dark arts for my brain power. But if you need anymore photos as engines out let me know.
Attachments
20180508_184432.jpg and
20180508_184221.jpg and
20180508_184048.jpg and
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Spyder fan wrote:The temperature sender is tight against the bulkhead on the head on the LH side.

Off to look now...
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

TAS wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:The temperature sender is tight against the bulkhead on the head on the LH side.

Off to look now...

We have a winner, no idea if there?s enough room to get it out to change it!
Attachments
b7d2af2f-2251-4bec-9f06-566d8ecb9ec7.jpeg and
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Tas

Do you have one where mine is blank?
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks Paul,

I think mine must be screwed into the back of the water rail where you have a blanking plug showing. My radiator hose has a joiner with a plug in it that I am going to use for now to test another sender now I have the correct wire.

I?ll worry about whether I change the one at the back of the block once I have solved it. I seem to have an abundance of sensors! The one on the right hand side is disconnected currently and nothing has stopped working.
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Tas

Not me to thank. Alan again wins this round of top lotus knowledge. I just took pics as a guide. Glad to assist tho.

Please tell me about your header tank and any take offs for heater matrix.
Is your header tank just an overflow or does it feed into coolant hose?
I think i want one just as an over flow not feeding into the system, i may need to change my plans.
Also i have a take off block of ally that goes where your other coolant rail sender is, this houses my sender and has 2 feeds/returns that im assuming was for the heater matrix. In which case i only want the sender in, this opens up the routing for heater,
Any pics of plumbing would be helpfull as this was the main reason for my engine out.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Taz- Glad you found it with help from Spyder Fan. He'd be the go to guy for Spyder conversion info.

pauljones wrote:There is Also a fitment rhs off head. A knock senser i assume.

Not pertinent to the subject at hand, but In case someone else is sorting out zetec sensors, that's the cam position sensor. It's not used on most zetec conversions and a 1" freeze (Welsh) plug ( Dorman 555-018 US) is a close fit to blank it off. Use sealant and stake it as it's not an exactly a press fit.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 pm

pauljones wrote:Tas

Not me to thank. Alan again wins this round of top lotus knowledge. I just took pics as a guide. Glad to assist tho.

Please tell me about your header tank and any take offs for heater matrix.
Is your header tank just an overflow or does it feed into coolant hose?
I think i want one just as an over flow not feeding into the system, i may need to change my plans.
Also i have a take off block of ally that goes where your other coolant rail sender is, this houses my sender and has 2 feeds/returns that im assuming was for the heater matrix. In which case i only want the sender in, this opens up the routing for heater,
Any pics of plumbing would be helpfull as this was the main reason for my engine out.

My header tank has an outlet at the bottom that feeds into the system. I?ll take some pics tomorrow for you. There?s a lower pipe that it feeds into. My heater is teed off the rail where the ecu temp sender is in my first pic, I?m not sure where it feeds back in. I?d like to put a valve on it to cut the heat in this weather but there doesn?t appear to be enough room in the engine bay side, I?ll look at the interior instead at some point.
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm

The wire attached to the sender on the back of the head is at 12volts constantly so I guess not connected to the voltage regulator. I?ve connected to a new sender in the top hose and the gauge doesn?t move :(

I guess I need to take the dash off check the wiring next. My dash is held on with Allen headed bolts that have nuts behind, does the dash top come off so I can reach the top ones?
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Is the new sender grounded? You say ? in the top hose?

This may be worth a read http://www.abs-zero.com/project-pages/1 ... tabiliser/

It looks like you have established that the gauge is wired incorrectly ( no voltage regulator) and that there is no overheating issue, so treat the gauge as a pretty bit of bling safe in the knowledge that the fan will cut in from its own sensor when needed. It?s nice to have these things working properly but they are just ?idiot gauges? after all.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Is the new sender grounded? You say ? in the top hose?

This may be worth a read http://www.abs-zero.com/project-pages/1 ... tabiliser/

It looks like you have established that the gauge is wired incorrectly ( no voltage regulator) and that there is no overheating issue, so treat the gauge as a pretty bit of bling safe in the knowledge that the fan will cut in from its own sensor when needed. It?s nice to have these things working properly but they are just ?idiot gauges? after all.

Doh no it?s not grounded! It?s in a joiner between two silicon hoses. I?ll try grounding it and see if it registers!

It still needs a regulator so I need to work out how to get the dash out which doesnt have standard fittings, I?m sure there shouldn?t be normal nuts loose on the back that need a spanner attached. It looks like the top will come off first to allow a spanner access.
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: