S4 / +2 rear lights

PostPost by: therolfie » Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi all, is it possible to remove the bulb/lamp holders from the rear light unit? I need to replace mine as bad condition & don't want to fit a whole unit. Any pics or instructions on how to take apart would be most welcome. Thanks
White +2s, S4 in bits & the practical Honda!
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:23 pm

I took all mine apart when I had my rear lights re-chromed.
I undid the tabs on the bulb holders by carefully inserting a narrow flat-bladed screwdriver and levering them back until it allowed the holders to come out. A couple of mine were also poor so I replaced them with some spare holders that I had in some MG BGT rear light assys. (but keeping the Lotus reflector/surrounds).
When I re-fitted them, I used a suitably sized socket within the bulb holder to knock the tabs back down to secure them.

Hope this helps

Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks Kev for the tip, that's what I thought but wanted to check before going ahead. The MGB ones fitted in OK? I'm in no rush so can source some parts to get it right. Cheers
White +2s, S4 in bits & the practical Honda!
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 pm

As far as I remember, the MG fittings were fine.
Depending on how bad your bulb holders are (rusted out?) you might be able to just replace the doings inside - the base / wire contacts and springs. Might save some work.
Good luck.

Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: