Strange Wire in S3 harness

PostPost by: fattogatto » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 pm

The PO hacked up the rear harness on a 1967 UK version Elan S3, leaving the remnants of the wires from the two multiple connectors going to the rear harness. I have one wire that seems to be additional (according to the wiring diagrams I have). It is Green and Brown.

My diagrams show GR as the right turn indicator
GW as the left turn indicator
R as tail lights/license plate lights
GP as stop lights
GB as the fuel level sender
PW as courtesy lights (disconnected as this is a DHC)

I have this additional Green and Brown wire. Could it have been the radio antenna power wire?

Any help?

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 am

Green Brown is normally reverse lights

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks. PO must have used an updated harness as this car did not have reversing lights or a courtesy light in the trunk. That will make a good power line for the fuel pump.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:56 am

fattogatto wrote:Thanks. PO must have used an updated harness as this car did not have reversing lights or a courtesy light in the trunk. That will make a good power line for the fuel pump.

Hello Charlie,

The GB wire is likely connected to the reverse switch on top of the gearbox, just in front of the top cover on driver's right. I ran a wire from the ignition switch under the console and carpet, through the rear mill board. I mounted the pump with rubber riv nuts in the center of the boot wall between the fuel tank and the spare tire.

I have had several facet fuel pumps in my Elan. I got fed up with them failing and having to get home using the K/O hammer to make them work. I went back to a standard mechanical pump, no problems since.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Don't forget that an electric pump is best supplied electricity through an inertia switch so that in the event of a crash it will switch off and not add fuel to any flames.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:15 pm

fattogatto wrote:Thanks. PO must have used an updated harness as this car did not have reversing lights or a courtesy light in the trunk. That will make a good power line for the fuel pump.

If the engine only runs in reverse, you'll know why... :wink:
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: