Turn Indicator Lights

PostPost by: Peter Richen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 pm

I have a minor problem with my turn indicators on my '65 LHD S2.
When the engine is NOT running, the exterior lights and the green indicator light on the bottom of the speedometer work fine.
When the engine is running, the exterior lights work ok, except that the right front doesn't flash (it just stays on), and the green indicator light on the bottom of the speedometer doesn't work.
I'm baffled, and would appreciate any suggestions.
Peter Richen
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:02 pm

When did it last work correctly? What have you done to the car since then?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:04 pm

First place i'd look is the grounds (Lights and engine grounds)

I had a similar issue where the Indicator was going very slowly then ended up stopping (so it stayed on) mine ended up being a bad bulb (believe it or not) seems the Flasher relay needs the bulbs to draw a set wattage and if you mess with it the Indicators play up.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:18 pm

If the left side flashes OK, I am with Chris on a bulb being defective. Check the right rear to see if it lights at all, if not it may be the bulb. Otherwise, I would start looking at ground connections or the power connection at the bulk on the light the does not illuminate.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter Richen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm

I don't think that the indicators have ever worked correctly since I owned the car. I bought the car several years ago. It had suffered an electrical fire and hadn't run in approx. 20 years. The car is running now and I'm getting down toward the bottom of my list of problems.
I discovered that my front indicator lights are dual filament. According to the workshop manual, these lights are supposed to be single filament 382 rated at 21 watts (the USA replacement is 7506). The lamps that were in the car were 1157's (27/8 watts). Apparently the DPO has modified the body, removing the small clear parking light (fenders are also flared).
I discovered a loose ground on the right front light, which I fixed, and I also replaced the 1157 bulbs with 1034 dual filament bulbs (23/8.6 watts). That seems to have solved the problem, everything works now.
Peter Richen
New-tral

Total Online: