Wiper/Pump Thread

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04 pm

I've just bought a new wiper / pump switch for my +2 from James Paddock. I asked if it came with a retaining nut or anything and was met with 'uh' so I asked what they thought the thread size was and got 'uh'. Very helpful, sorry I bothered him :?
Anyway the switch / pump seems good, and a good price of ?29.94 including delivery.
Now I need some means of attachment. Can anyone suggest a suitable or alternative fixing or thread size. My old one had a mashed up thread and the whole thing was clamped in place by part of what I think was once a coat hanger :roll:
Thanks,
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Not sure about the Plus 2, but on the Elan, that pump/switch is held into a small cupshaped tube because the device itself has insufficient thread length to poke through the dashboard. It must have been designed for a car with a very thin (metal) dashboard.

So your first problem will be to obtain or make one of those.

There have been two recent topics on tools for undoing the nut, which is round with two notches on opposits sides for a two prong spanner like device.

lotus-electrical-f38/vacuum-light-switch-dash-t33322.html

lotus-electrical-f38/ignition-switch-heater-cable-nut-tool-t33342.html

You can make your own tool as I did or buy one.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks Bill,
I have thankfully got the cup shaped tube but after trying many nuts and the other two notch nuts (that hold the toggle switches) which the threads are too big, I am looking for something with the correct thread that will go down the cup, not easy to find!
Regards,
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:25 pm

I can't really help you directly on that, see if Sue Miller has one.

You may need to find a local mechanic with a lathe able to make you one from brass stock.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: