Glove box - slide switch

PostPost by: drtarkir » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:09 am

My +2s has a slide switch mounted in the glove box. This is in addition to the light activation switch. What is it for?

Thanks

Dennis
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:28 am

It should be an ignition cutoff. An early theft deterrent system
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: drtarkir » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:16 am

That's what I thought.

Thanks

Dennis
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:29 am

You can find further discussions of this switch in the forum.

It is a double pole single throw switch, as I recall, and is wired from the factory to cut off feed to the coil, as well as sound the horn continuously when the ignition key is turned to the on position. Horn turns off again when ignition key is turned off.

I think this system is terrific and dead simple. Problems occur when, 1. the switch contacts get dirty/worn, and/or 2. the owner forgets he/she has engaged the system and gets back in the car some weeks/months later only to discover the car won't start, etc. and doesn't know why!! :mrgreen: Or a new owner is enthusiastically checking out their new car, flipping switches, etc., comes across this one, flips it a few times (an odd number of times), then later finds they can't start the car and don't have a clue why! :mrgreen:

My guess is most people remove or bypass it. I plan on keeping it (a new switch, though), wired as per stock. How many car thieves these days would know about such a system? :mrgreen: :wink:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:39 am

Sea Ranch wrote:
My guess is most people remove or bypass it. I plan on keeping it (a new switch, though), wired as per stock. How many car thieves these days would know about such a system? :mrgreen: :wink:

Randy

Those that sneakily read this forum, before going out to steal-to-order a Plus 2 ?
8)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:40 pm

The worst problem is that with the original steering column flex joint the horn is intermittent at best, and does not blow when you turn the key. With a true u joint my horn is reliable as can be, so I am reminded that the kill switch is enabled.
I like it so much that I replaced the switch when it died.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: k00pa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:02 pm

gus wrote:I like it so much that I replaced the switch when it died.

Hello Gus,

May I ask how you gained access to replace the switch? Is it accessible by removing the under-dash panels? Was it very fiddly?

The engine died recently on the way back from a London to Brighton run and wouldn't restart. Really annoying with the whole family in tow. The car had to be trailered home. The next day it started on the second attempt. At the time I thought it was a fuelling problem but now I suspect the switch is to blame. With the engine running I only have to nudge the switch slightly for it to cut out in exactly the same way as it did when it broke down.

Thanks,

Simon
k00pa
New-tral

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Those slide switches were not designed/manufactured for such a purpose as this, I fear. They are indeed not a very positive "make-break" switching system.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: