Map lights

PostPost by: djb222 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi all,

My Elan came fitted with both passenger and driver map lights, they look early 70's to me but can't be sure. Any Ideas?

djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Definitely non-factory. The Driver's side looks similar to the one used by the factory for the passenger side on a late +2
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ort » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 pm

passenger side is a Butlers map light same design used from the 60s through to the 80s when branded as Lucas
First Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming they were fitted in the early 70's when the car covered the majority of it's mileage, but that's a guess. As they are period, I think I'll keep them. The smaller drivers side light seems better made.

I remember buying a 1961 Vauxhaul PA Cresta 20 years ago, long gone now unfortunately, which had a gorgeous sprung 45rpm record player. It was aftermarket but so suited the car, I loved it. Never seen one since. Bit of a deviation but a nice memory of how some additions can just set off a car, however minor.

David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

The drives side one which is the same as used in later Plus 2's was also used as a rear seat reading light in some versions of the 70 / 80's Jaguar XJ6

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:12 am

rgh0 wrote:The drives side one which is the same as used in later Plus 2's was also used as a rear seat reading light in some versions of the 70 / 80's Jaguar XJ6

cheers
Rohan

Not quite the same one was used on the Jaguar for the rear quarters although they did look very similar. In fact there were several variations used across Ford and Mini too some that switched on and off automatically from stowed position and others that had a separate switch

The Lotus +2 one as indeed shown in the photo had a threaded tube at the base and nut behind to retain the fit with the wire supply passing through the centre to the rear so the wire was only exposed at the knuckle joints.

The one used on the Jaguar Sovereign/XJ had a solid base (due to insufficient access to get to the rear for installation) with three small screw holes to retain it and the wire passed on the outside rather than through a centre tube. Just pointing out in case anyone is searching for a replacement. However the parts are interchangeable so if the original Lotus base is kept it can be changed over into a Jaguar type.

I bought up several of these lamps when they were ceasing production many many years ago and still have a few NOS left. The light head was prone to getting very pitted. Not sure if anyone is reproducing them now.

Regards

Steve
Attachments
DSCF1956.JPG and
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: