S3 "headlight "strategy"

PostPost by: rviani » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Since I have never seen it assembled I am trying to sort out how the headlamp circuit on my 67 S3 is designed to function by looking at the diagram ( my wiring corresponds to S1 / S2) and testing the switch. From this it appears there are three positions to the switch being: 1) headlights and marker lights (#8 & #4 energized) (UP ?)
2) Flasher and marker lights (#4 &#6 energized (MIDDLE)
3) Flasher only(#6 energized) (DOWN?) (corresponds to OFF?)
This would mean that the "headlight flasher circuit" (not something familiar to those on this side of the pond) works whenever the headlight micro switch is activated (unless the headlights are on) - thus one flashes the lights by only pulling the vacuum switch?

If some could be kind enough to advise whether I have all this right ( do I have up and down reversed?) I would appreciate it. Also I can't seem to find a picture of how the switch labels on the dash should be placed - again any help appreciated. - Thanks in advance

Ron
rviani
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:26 pm

The headlights flash if the pods are raised without switching on the lights, they will also flash if the pods are raised and the sidelights switched on.
They will NOT flash if the pods are raised and the light switch is in the main/dip headlight position.
The toggle light switch has three positions:
All lights off.............................................toggle switch pointing up. (headlights will flash if pods are raised)
Sidelights on .................................toggle switch centre position. (headlights will flash if pods are raised)
Headlight main beam/dipped beam on........toggle switch pointing down. (headlights will be on but not flash)
EDIT:
Just to add the main/dip headlight facility is operated by the stalk switch on the steering column (on Domestic cars) although I believe they are operated by a foot operated switch on some overseas cars)

Also see this thread
lotus-electrical-f38/headlight-flasher-t22601.html
Last edited by types26/36 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:02 pm

My steering wheel stalk switch had 3 positions too. Up was headlights off
middle = Main beam, down =dipped beam.

But I think my headlights used to flash, even if the dash switch was fully down, provided that the stalk switch was up.

But that was a long time ago, my headlight flasher was removed when the car was rewired in 1982.
Last edited by billwill on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 pm

My steering wheel stalk had a small piece of wood glued in place to stop it going into the off position
I have always wondered if this was a DPO mod or a factory mod?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I believe Mr Chapman used an indicator switch (three positions) for the high beam/dipped beam facility but he banged in a piece of wood to block one position to make it into a two position switch.
Over time the piece of wood would drop out making it back into a three position switch giving one position that did nothing (actually it put the headlights off.
I also believe that would account for the Lucas wiring having the wrong colours for the main/dip facility as the switch would have had the colours appropriate for an indicator switch and not a dip switch.
I sill have a spare "wood blocked" switch but I think the later cars have the correct two position switch.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rviani » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Gents - just what I needed.

Not to guild the lily, but anyone have a picture or even a description of how the switch labels go on?
rviani
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:14 pm

I could be wrong but I dont think the S3 cars has labels on the dash, I think the labels came with the rocker switches on the S4 and Sprints.
Of course with Lotus nothing is written in stone and I'm sure there are S3's with labels but I have never seen one.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Rohan,

My car (1968 S4 Elan) also has a piece of wood jammed in the switch, I think it is a genuine piece of Lotus wood.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Good to know its genuine Lotus wood - I thought it looked like the same high quality special light weight wood as under the bonnet release catches on my Plus 2 :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:59 am

Yes, S3 toggled dash is without labels. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:17 am

Actually the third (top) position for OFF headlights is useful in town. It lets you turn the headlights off in one of those situations where roads are lined both sides with cars and you being kind to an oncoming car to let them pass you paused at a slightly wider point.

A frequent situation around here.

I never knew about that Lotus wooden stopper, It was not on mine when I bought the car.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rviani » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks all !!
rviani
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: