testing window motors off the car

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi

This is related to my earlier question about wiring diagrams for the window motor circuitry.

How do I test the window motor off the car? I've found that there is a feed to both inputs on the actual motor but for some reason only up operates.

Switching the wires around at the motor end of things I can lower the glass by using the dash switch for up.

Niaively I thought that testing off the car would simply involve hooking up to a battery but doing so the motor will not turn. I seem to remember in the distant past that I'd encountered this problem before and that there is a certain procedure to follow but I can't remember what it was- any ideas?

On a related note -if fitting relays to this circuit surely the short run of wiring into/inside the motor to the brushes also needs to be beefed up so as to minimise resistance or doesn't this matter if thicker supply wires are fitted "upstream"?

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:18 pm

John
One tag is up,the other is down, both going to ground (earth) the fact that switching the wires around at the motor gives you down points to the switch or the original down wire between the switch and the motor...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 pm

When rebuilding my window frames and glass I tested the operation of the motor before refitting by simply holding the connectors on to a battery.
Connect one way, the window goes up, revers the connections the window goes down or vica versa.

Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi

I'm assuming all window motors on 2 seater elans are wired the same- on my car there are 3 connections at the motor-
One earth (black)
One single green/brown
One green/red (comprising of two wires joined together)

Are you saying that I should connect the black to earth plus one of the feeds also to earth and the other to the live to get the motor to spin one way?
If so, presumably swapping the two feeds around would then reverse the motor's rotation.

Is this correct?

Related to this- is there any reason why two non-switchover relays couldn't be wired in for each side. The diagram I attached to my earlier posting uses two switchover types- but doesn't appear to work.

Regards and thanks

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Sorry I didn't make it clear but I was referring to the two seater Elan.
Forget the black earth wire, don't connect it to anything. I think billwill will confirm that's it's primary use is for radio suppression?
Just use the two wires to the motor on the battery
green/brown to +
green /red to -
The motor/window will move one way. Reverse the above connections and the motor/window will move the other way.

Regards MickG
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

MickG wrote:Sorry I didn't make it clear but I was referring to the two seater Elan.
Forget the black earth wire, don't connect it to anything. I think billwill will confirm that's it's primary use is for radio suppression?
Just use the two wires to the motor on the battery
green/brown to +
green /red to -
The motor/window will move one way. Reverse the above connections and the motor/window will move the other way.

Regards MickG

Yup, that's right.

The black wire merely connects the metalwork to the rest of the car metalwork, to prevent static buildup, which could cause radio crackles.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 pm

worzel wrote:Hi

I'm assuming all window motors on 2 seater elans are wired the same- on my car there are 3 connections at the motor-
One earth (black)
One single green/brown
One green/red (comprising of two wires joined together)

Are you saying that I should connect the black to earth plus one of the feeds also to earth and the other to the live to get the motor to spin one way?
If so, presumably swapping the two feeds around would then reverse the motor's rotation.

Is this correct?

Related to this- is there any reason why two non-switchover relays couldn't be wired in for each side. The diagram I attached to my earlier posting uses two switchover types- but doesn't appear to work.

Regards and thanks

John

I take that you have not yet read my replies to the question in the other topic about the circuit already discussed.
electrical-instruments-f38/wiring-circuit-for-relays-the-window-motor-layout-t27854.html

Scattering your queries on multiple threads when they are basically about the same issue, doesn't help, try to stay on one thread.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 pm

worzel wrote:Hi

This is related to my earlier question about wiring diagrams for the window motor circuitry.

On a related note -if fitting relays to this circuit surely the short run of wiring into/inside the motor to the brushes also needs to be beefed up so as to minimise resistance or doesn't this matter if thicker supply wires are fitted "upstream"?

Regards

John

Good question but the wires are thick enough already, the primary reason for fitting relays is to reduce the breaking current (and hence reduce the sparking and wear) in the panel switches.
These panel switches are somewhat fragile and rare so it helps if you can give them a longer life.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 am

john.p.clegg wrote:John
One tag is up,the other is down, both going to ground (earth) the fact that switching the wires around at the motor gives you down points to the switch or the original down wire between the switch and the motor...

John :wink:

Please ignore the above unless you have a Plus2...

John :oops:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: