Job well done, and a question

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:28 am

Another vote for a voltmeter. I fitted one many years ago and it has been really useful, probably on a level with the temp gauge. With a dynamo you can keep track of whether you're heading for a flat battery through overloading the electrics, with an alternator it'll give you advance warning of any electrical probs (not unusual in my Elan). Def worthwhile.

If you don't want to cut a hole in the dash there are small solid state ones (size - about an inch cube) that you could fit discretely. I made one for one of my bikes for about ?5 a couple of years ago and it saved me from being stranded in France when an earth wire came loose.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat May 29, 2010 3:55 pm

I have converted my Plus 2 from the stock ammeter to a volt meter I sourced on eBay. Haven't used the car yet (still refurbishing), but works well in testing. If I had the six gauge set-up in the Plus 2S I would consider ditching the external temp and retain the ammeter as well.

FWIW, In my Plus 2 workshop manual Lotus provides a recommendation and details to convert from ammeter to volt meter in conjunction with retrofitting an alternator in place of stock early production generator.

One minor issue I had with the voltmeter was a slight difference in the bezel design, and a resulting difference in the brightness of the voltmeter dash light. I used the bezel from the stock ammeter in the voltmeter and like the appearance better. Voltmeter I got on eBay matched the illustration in the workshop manual upgrade instructions, so appears non matching bezel was the deal back in the day.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: