Interior batterycover

PostPost by: frearther » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Does anyone know how this item is placed in the car? I've never had a battery cover and can't quite visualize how this one works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-El ... dZViewItem
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:32 pm

I've never seen one like this - in fact before seeing this I didn't realise they existed. It's not clear whether this is intended to fit in the rear of the cockpit S1-style, or in the boot S2-style. My S1 just has a plywood cover for the battery, but I have no idea whether this is original or not.

I had the impression that the interior floor where the S1 battery is located is level but I will check tonight - if so, I don't see how this part would fit.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Looks like part 26B241, Battery Box GFRP. It is intended to cover batteries placed behind the passenger seat (as is the case in my S2). There are bobbins set near the back corner of the battery cavity; the cover bolts to those bobbins. Since the battery cavity is set into a sloping surface, the bottom of the box slopes also.

I don't have a box - never did - and I'm not sure the box would co-exist with my roll bar, but I may bid on that item.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:42 pm

The picture shows exactly what covered the battery behind the passenger seat in my 65 S2.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Now I can visualize it. Seems like an interesting item. Does Famous Frank still sell one? Frank -- are you there??
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:06 pm

This is origional

Same as in my 26/0538

Keep your stick on the ice AND Merry Christmas

Bill
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 pm

OK, so now I've had a look at mine, there are bobbins there and they are used to secure the existing retaining bracket (really just two threaded rods and an 'L'-shaped mild steel strip).

Once the cover is fitted, the existing bracket wouldn't fit - so how is the battery held in place?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:11 pm

paddy wrote:OK, so now I've had a look at mine, there are bobbins there and they are used to secure the existing retaining bracket (really just two threaded rods and an 'L'-shaped mild steel strip).

Sounds exactly like the bracket I made up many years ago. Either my car never had the cover, or the PO removed it, or I removed it soon after we got the car.

Once the cover is fitted, the existing bracket wouldn't fit - so how is the battery held in place?

Good question. Perhaps the flanges the bolts go through trap the battery, if it's just the right size.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 am

Hi All

One more comfirmation as I have three of the same item in the S2's. The hard part now a days is finding the narrow battery to fit inside. Most of the Batteries I have found these days are a little wider and it is harder to fit cover. One of my covers is slit down each side to allow some flex in the battery fit.

Happy holidays to all!
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 am

For Battery's

look at Odyssey or wheelchair batteries
Use a strap to hold down the battery

picture for clarification.
Attachments
battery cover.JPG and