Micro Switch

PostPost by: hat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:19 pm

A couple of questions someone will know the answers to i'm sure

1. close to the left hand headlight pod there are two micro switches. One for the headlight on/off but what is the other for. The manual refers to it as a sidelight micro switch but nothing comes into contact with it and it seems to do very little anyway. Is something missing here.

2. The headlight pods rise with the speed of a one toed sloth. Is there any adjustment anywhere or are new parts need. They close very fast so they are not binding anywhere.

Thanks in advance
"lets look on it as an investment darling. One day it will..................................."
hat
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:25 am

What year and model are we talking about . My 68 +2 has the 2 micro switches fitted to the ns h/lamp pod . One cuts the headlamp power when pods are down , the second activates the flashing headlamps if you raise the pods with no headlamps switched on . This system was out lawed as dangerous , as people thought you were flashing them to either pull out a junction in front of you or pedestians cross the road . Both with damage to your car if contact made .
My car had the flashing system removed , as did alot of cars as a service update by Lotus . I have refitted mine . Later +2 used a slightly different system which I have not looked at as does not concern my car . I can check it for you if you confirm your car model and year .
Fast lifting pods can damage your car . The shock of the pods stopping can crack the front panel .If very slow , this may be due to leaks in system or tired diaphram/s in vac unit/s
Hope this helps , more detail from your self and more answers may be available .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. The switch that cuts the power is working fine but there is nothing that comes anywhere near making contact with the second switch. I suspect you are right and it has been dissabled.

The car is a 72 130 S.

Thanks
"lets look on it as an investment darling. One day it will..................................."
hat
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:43 pm

Dont know about the +2's but on the early small Elans the micro switch is fixed to the body and a spring attached to the vacuum pod spring operates it. On the later (small) Elans the switch is fixed to the fibreglass headlight pod and moves with the pod, it is a spring loaded switch and makes/breaks contact with the body as the pod is raised/lowered.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:06 pm

I will check wirring diagram for you . I did not think your year of car had any micro switches . I will get back to you.

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:05 am

Depending on chassis number it would seem you would have no micro switces as standard or two fitted . If you have the 3 fuse box wirring then there are two switches fitted to ns headlamp pod . One is a side light switch and the other is the headlamp switch . Side light switch has blue and blue/white wires to it and headlamp switch has blue/brown and black wires to it .
If you still nedd more info then I need chassis nunmber and fuse box type and location of fuse box .

Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: