Diff output flange woes

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:44 pm

After fitting the diff, I find the pcd of the drive flange doesn't match that of the propshaft hole layout.
I know there are "small" or "large" flanges fitted by Ford, I also know the propshaft is the correct (later) specification. Question is, why is there a drive flange available to buy, with double drilled holes ?
It says in the sales blurb. that it's to save swapping the propshaft when changing diffs??

Surely it would be more sensible to double drill the propshaft flange to accommodate different diff output flanges, given the trouble it is to change the diff flange?

So, question is, is it possible to buy a double drilled propshaft flange, or adaptor plate, instead of a differential flange??

Or, does anyone have the correct flange for the diff, they are willing to part with please?
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:01 am

If you get a correct Diff Flange you can use it as a Drill Jig to drill the extra holes in the Prop Shaft flange i think not sure. That means no reseting of preload on Diff Flange Bearing.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 am

Absolutely Alan, that is exactly what I mean.

But I still can't understand the value in double drilling a diff flange, though????

Surely, when you change a diff it already has a flange attached?

Beats me!
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:57 am

The double drilled diff flange means that as a parts supplier you only have to carry one part and no confusion on compatibility. If you end up somehow with a miss match between an assembled diff flange and prop shaft I would get a replacement prop shaft end flange that matched the diff. I think you would struggle to double drill the prop shaft flange due to clearance with the UJ.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:58 am

Is it just the PCD that’s different or is the all-important location flange different as well?
diff.jpg
diff.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 am

Sorry i forgot to say remove flange from Prop Shaft. Clamp Flanges together and use Pillar Drill.
Before removing from Prop Shaft mark for assembly.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am

Burtons have them.

:)
Attachments
Diff Flange Burton.png and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie