Propshaft Removal +2

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I have read on this forum that it is possible for the propshaft on an Elan to be removed by just undoing the 4 bolts to the diff flange, undoing the gearbox mount, jacking up the gearbox to the top of the chassis, and then taking out the propshaft underneath the gearbox.

Can anyone tell me if this has been done on a +2? I don't see how the propshaft can see moved back without pivoting the diff out of the way. Am I missing something?

I have a modified chassis from the 80's with strengthening fillets in the front turrets,and I was wondering if the holes in each end of the chassis box section were a different size to normal. Can someone tell me the size of these holes on a standard +2 chassis?

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm

hi Dave, on a +2 it's possible no problem.
1 remove 4 bolts to diff
2 slide propshaft back out of empty gearbox
3 remove gearbox mount and raise gearbox as far as possible
4 slide propshaft forward and out no problem.
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks Alan,

I have had a look on the excellent "sows ear chassis" thread, and the chassis holes there look similar to the ones on my chassis. I will try it when I next remove the propshaft.

Cheers,

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

david.g.chapman wrote:...I have a modified chassis from the 80's with strengthening fillets in the front turrets,and I was wondering if the holes in each end of the chassis box section were a different size to normal. Can someone tell me the size of these holes on a standard +2 chassis?

Dave Chapman

Hi Dave. Looking at the on-line parts book at rdent.com under 'Body / Exterior / Attaching'. assuming you meaning tapped holes for items 3 & 4?

XUFB0620, quantity 2, Bolt, Front Wheelarch to Chassis
(UNF Hex Bolt, 3/8" x 1 1/4")
A06W1207, quantity As Required, Washer, Front Wheelarch to Chassis
(Plain Washer; 3/8 inside hole " x 3/4" OD x 7/100" thick)
L06W0000, quantity 2, Washer, Front Wheelarch to Chassis
(3/8" Lock Washer)

e.g. The stock attachment bolt is 'decoded' as follows. Decoding details are on page 4 & 5 of the parts book, or under the 'Introduction' section of the on-line version. Of course, holes in towers are open and fully threaded.

X - Hexagon
UF - UNF Thread
B - Bolt
06 - 6/16" (or 3/8") diameter
20 - 20/16" (or 1 1/4") bolt length

HTH. I never would have thought the prop shaft could be removed. Learn something every day. I would suggest being very careful of cracking the plastic console from jacking the transmission up though. :shock:

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 am

Stu,

My chassis was one of the last ones produced (don't know by whom) before galvanising became popular. It has things like the fillets I mentioned, and also a detachable cross member (very handy). The holes for the gearbox mount are tapped - probably with nuts welded onto the chassis plate material.

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 am

if you change the ujs use triumph spitfire ones with grease nipples. Be careful of orientation and mark before taking apart.
When sliding propshaft back into gearbox you remove the big rubber bung on right side of tunnel for access.
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: