Speedometer rebuild again

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:42 pm

My car wasn't used for about 28 years until I just completed my restoration. My speedo now reads 60mph. when I am only doing approx 60kmh. Tyres are the original size, gearbox & right angle drive are the original. I have searched the archives & read through all the posts about rebuild & calibration. I think that the problem is either the spring has become weak or that there is something caught between the magnet & aluminium disc. None of the posts seem to mention that you have to remove the trip reset rod but my speedo will not remove from the housing without doing so. If I remove the shaft will the speedo come out of the housing with the remaining brass piece protruding?
Attachments
_MG_6405.jpg and
Speedo trip reset rod.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Keith, you have a PM
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:15 am

I found a good book on DIY speedo repair on lulu.com. It'd "Magnetic Speedometer Repair" by Graham Blighe. It's written mostly for motorcycle enthusiasts, but the info crosses over to our smiths automotive gauges pretty well. It's a bit pricey at about $25.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:17 am

Keith,
Remove the rollpin and pull the reset rod off the shaft and away you go.
Regards,
Colin.

saildrive2001 wrote:My car wasn't used for about 28 years until I just completed my restoration. My speedo now reads 60mph. when I am only doing approx 60kmh. Tyres are the original size, gearbox & right angle drive are the original. I have searched the archives & read through all the posts about rebuild & calibration. I think that the problem is either the spring has become weak or that there is something caught between the magnet & aluminium disc. None of the posts seem to mention that you have to remove the trip reset rod but my speedo will not remove from the housing without doing so. If I remove the shaft will the speedo come out of the housing with the remaining brass piece protruding?
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: