Rotoflex!

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I intend to make and fit CV driveshafts to both elans so I am using the driveshafts form the S4 to get the S3 running.

Today I put the driveshafts and brakes on the S3. Having spent all afternoon aligning and doing up bolts I lowered the second wishbone and rotated the hub... only to hear the sound of rubber delaminating from steel! Checked the first one same problem.

I looked up the price of new Rotoflex couplings - ?80 each - so that would be ?300 for something I don't want!

I have 2 of the Hilman Imp ones without the interleave. Am I right in thinking that these were originally fitted to the elan as well? I can get 2 more for ?45.

I need to get the car MOT'd and moved this week so any other thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

In the 1960's the Imp ones were the only ones available from Lotus in Sydney. They lasted ok then.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 pm

AHM wrote: I have 2 of the Hilman Imp ones without the interleave. Am I right in thinking that these were originally fitted to the elan as well? I can get 2 more for ?45.

Simon

Simon,

I, too, have a couple of Imp items...and found this when having the same questions...

"Early Lotus Elan S1 couplings are identical to Imp ones"

I have never attempted to fit them so cannot confirm...but IIRC the bolt PCD's are different on later Elans...

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

I had Rotoflexes with no interleave bits when I first had my car, but they were changed later. The Kangaroo surge is worse with those originals, but they do work.

Mind you the engine was only 105BHP in those days.

Fine for getting through MOT and temporary use, I would think, just don't go full power.
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Simon,

I think this is where I got it from!

elan-f14/elan-drive-shaft-coupling-pcd-for-t17430.html

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:22 am

Lotus changed the PCD many years before they changed to the interleave coupling with the Sprint introduction. I have never understood why they changed the PCD when it appears they kept the same coupling. Whatever - the imp ones work on the later cars - ran them for many year when first got the car as they were standard on my 68 S4

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks All,

Now have the original type - ?22 each
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 pm

When I bought my Elan I remember it had standard imp couplings on one side and the stronger interleaved couplings on the other ...
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:42 am

Pardon my ignorance :oops: , but what is the difference between the "standard" and the "interleaved" couplings, and do they look different?

Cheers
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 am

Yes, the standard ones are plain rubber between the bolt holes, the interleaved ones have a metal plate at the mid point to stiffen the section & reduce movement. I don't have a photo of the plain ones handy, but this is the later "sprint" rotoflex.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: