26R Arches - were the early different from the late?

PostPost by: Tahoe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:06 am

I've looked through the archives and pictures and it seems clear that the first or at least some of the early 26R's had standard headlights and flares for 5.5" rims. What isn't clear is were the early arches smaller than the later? TTR sells S1 26R arches and S2 26R arches that include the headlight area for the perspex covers. They don't have pictures however and from all I've read and seen I'm still not clear if S1 26R arches are smaller. I've attached a picture of some late S2 26R arches and maybe someone has pictures of the earlier S1 arches.

Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am

Minefield - Beware, it says on the notice. :D

I have period photos showing three variations on rear wheelarches and there were three types of headlamp arrangement; the "normal" pivoting road-car type, the small "chinese eye" type and the perspex cover over the "normal" hole type.

Then someone will be along soon showing a fourth design (on a yellow car) which was never fitted in period by the factory but which would have been the best solution of all. :wink:

Discuss.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Russ,

I've exactly the same kit on my garage floor too !! :lol:
Has anyone any photos of these arches being "stitched" on to the shell ?

I'm in the process of repairing the shell on my S2, as per my recent post ,and will be adding these arches on once i've got the chassis on four wheels.
I have been advised to position the arches only when the shell is on the chassis so that the contour is matched perfectly to the wheels and the external bulge is equal all round.

Gino
Milano
Italy.
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi

I'm halfway through fitting 26R arches.

Front ones on, but not finished, rear to start.

It's far more work than fitting a front end!

TTR said to use the new 26R bumpers for location, but it's difficult getting everything in the right place.

Profile guages are very useful. Looking at 26R photos there seems to be a lot of variation.

Regards Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi Gray,
Have you any photos you can post me.
I'm interested in seeing what needs to chopped and what needs to be modified internally to suit the new larger arches.

Thanks
Gino
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

The pic of the arches are not mine (downloaded on google somewhere) but I'm still confused. I have a responce from TTR this morning saying all of thier 26R arches are the same except for standard or lightweight, but they list different part numbers with different descriptions. I know I have seen at least 2 variations, one the most well known with headlight covers and the other being the smaller (I think) using the standard bumper. Apparently their were 3 or 4 variations? It would be nice to see a comparison of all from the same angle or even better not attached to the car yet.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 am

Hey Pete ---nice you paraphrase J.F.K ----he also said 'I AM A DONUT ' when he was in Berlin?.......I understand U.S. presidency does tend to leave a bad tast in the mouths of some women
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 am

twincamman wrote:Hey Pete ---nice you paraphrase J.F.K ----he also said 'I AM A DONUT ' when he was in Berlin

There is a misconception that Kennedy made a risible error by saying Ich bin ein Berliner: the claim is made that Kennedy referred to himself not as a "citizen of Berlin", but as a "jelly donut" (US) or "jam doughnut" (UK), known in parts of Germany as a "Berliner". Kennedy should, supposedly, have said Ich bin Berliner to mean "I am a person from Berlin", and that adding the indefinite article ein to his statement implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus, "I am a jelly doughnut". However, the indefinite article ein is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence but is necessary when speaking in a figurative sense as Kennedy did. Since the president was not literally from Berlin but only declaring his solidarity with its citizens, "Ich bin Berliner" would not have been appropriate.

He also is recorded as saying:
"If I don't have a woman for three days, I get terrible headaches." :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I for one would love to see in period photographic evidence of 3 or more unique "Series One" 26R's sharing the same fender treatment as modified from stock by lotus components. My guess is that I just asked to see the null set.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:52 pm

George, as I understood it, S1 26Rs were originally with ordinary lights. The S2s came with the standard hole covered with perspex. The other variations, to S1s and 2s would have been added as mods later or after repairs, etc.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm

elj221c wrote:George, as I understood it, S1 26Rs were originally with ordinary lights. The S2s came with the standard hole covered with perspex. The other variations, to S1s and 2s would have been added as mods later or after repairs, etc.

George and Roy,

I'll concede the 2 variations regarding the headlights being covered or not covered , but is their any evidence that 2 variations of the arches exsisted, or was it only the headlight difference.

I've seen one picture in Robinshaw and Ross of what is reportendly an early S1 26R with very subtle flares, and and a stock front bumper. Was this just a miss print or is there evidence of other early 26R's like this?
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:02 am

Here's a few pics of my S4 arches being cut off for 26R ones to be stitched on. Plus a few from the ever knowledgable Mr GaryAnderson
elan-f14/progress-far-t14299.html
Any help?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:25 am

Well Pete Im impressed and I owe my Dad a vote of thanks I didnt have to learn and Speak it .....Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: