Transmission Removal

PostPost by: danielmo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi All,

Can the Elan transmission be removed without removing the engine? By that I mean, can I just drop it out the bottom of the car?

Thanks,
Dan
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:06 pm

elan-archive-f16/gearbox-removel-without-engine-t9155.html

I did a search on " gearbox removal elancoupe " (without the quotes) as that is the one that gives this link. Take a look Dan...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks guys. I did a search earlier but maybe didn't dig deep enough. Thanks, Dan
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rviani » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 pm

While I don't doubt those who claim to have done this - for what it's worth I just went through this process on a 67 Elan S3 and found it essentially impossible to get the trans out without removing the engine. I put the car up on a lift and unbolted the bellhousing from the engine and U joiont from the diff and after removing the shift lever pulled the trans back as far as possible by rotating it but could nor get sufficient clearance to get my hands it to remove bellhousing to transmission bolts. It MAY have been possible to remove the pressure plate and clutch disk to get additioinal room but I did not attempt this as the engine was going to come out for other work anyhow. Perhaps it is a function of what trans and chassis you are dealing with. In my case it's Lotus replacement chassis and the lotus / Ford three rail semi-close ratio transmission.

Since the engine was coming out anyhow I tried the trans removal just to see if it would work - obviously it didn't. Good luck with your project.
rviani
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: